View Single Post
Old 12-11-2021, 06:26 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker1 View Post
Possible transmission anomaly question about my 10D '68 built 1969 Z28:

The M21 transmission is a bit of a mystery. The family members of the original deceased owner have no recollection of the car ever needing trans work. But the VIN is 528195 on the case and this car is 529996. So if the transmission was replaced in the 70's or 80's they hit a home-run with the replacement because it is (A) a 1969 M-21 from (B) a Norwood Camaro and (C) built within 48 hrs. of this car, thus perfectly dated to it, at October 19th, with its original tag in place and it is equally dirty as the motor. That is quite a match for finding a random tranny.

GM of Canada has no record of a 1969 Camaro with a VIN ending in 528195 being imported and also 528195 unfortunately falls outside the roll of VINS with info available from NCRS so I cannot rule out that this trans is from a real Camaro. My gut tells me its an assembly line mis-stamp, or swap maybe, but then again numbers are numbers.

Also, my car is built right at the October 21st 1968 date when the Muncie model designator letters started to be stamped into the cases. But I found a B (usually for M21) here in this location (see pic) not at the end of the P9R19 Muncie number.

Just wondering if it is possible an assembly line worker might have a plausible explanation for these two queries. Thank You.
"The mystery transmission was likely a goofed up assembly from the manufacturing plant, the original car it was installed in would not shift correctly at roll test and was sent to AGR where the tranny was pulled and sent to the salvage shop and quickly repaired. Now the next car that showed up at AGR (Your buddie's car) also had a goofed up Tranny and had its tranny pulled and it also sent to salvage for repair, In this scenario the VIN your asking about is now sitting in AGR without a tranny so an exchange was made form salvage with the previous tranny that was already repaired as repair swap part. Trannies coming out of salvage could be mix masters, case and parts swaps were common. Functionality and cost savings were the priorities to management back then"
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
Tracker1 (12-13-2021)