View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Re: 70 Stage 1 GSX 4 Speed -Concours Resto

Very stunning Buicks- just fantastic restorations of some rare & beautiful cars. I have seen this stated about the price structure of Buick and Oldsmobile several times on this & other forums. Olds and Buick definitely represented the upper price structure of the GM hierarchy. But historically I believe Olds & Buick often traded up & down with each other for the position next to Cadillac. I recently decided to research a price comparison of all Buick & Oldsmobile’s in the 1970 model year to compare which division’s vehicles actually had a more expensive base price. I will include the base price listings of both Oldsmobile and Buick’s comparable models to show the base price structure. I pulled this directly from General Motors own price structure sheet in 1970.

The Oldsmobile 442 W-30 was also a very expensive car in 1970 much like the Buick GS & GSX often costing in the 5-6K range depending on options. It was also the only GM vechicle that ever had a truly balanced & blueprinted motor directly done through the factory, a very costly and time-consuming procedure. Both the Buick GS and Olds W-30s were regarded as the executive’s hotrod. Olds was also historically known as the engineering & innovation division of General Motors, often sharing their technology with Cadillac. The 1966 Olds Toronado shared GM’s first Front Wheel drive technology with the Cadillac Eldordo model one year after its development at Olds. The Cadillac Northstar engine was actually developed by Oldsmobile first in the Quad Four and later the Quad eight, which became known later as the Oldsmobile Aurora engine. This was the engine used in the Indy Racing League series.

Anyway, very beautiful autos and I hope you have good luck with the sales.

1970 GM Price Structure of Buick & Oldsmobile

Buick
Grand Sport htp cpe $3,283
Grand Sport conv cpe $3,469
Riviera htp cpe $4,854
Electra 225 htp cpe $4,482
LeSabre htp cpe
$3,419
Sportwagon 4dr $3,210

Oldsmobile

442 htp cpe $3,312
442 conv cpe $3,567