View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Musclecarjohns Stunning Z28

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1970 Camaro RS Z/28
Strangely, this car was involved in a double-murder which I found about later on. Has never bothered me much but it sure freaks out the wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool car John!!! How about some details on the car's involvement in the double-murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.I purchased this car from a local guy who had just purchased a Daytona Yellow '69 Z in San Jose that Reggie Jackson had his eye on.One had to go and even though I too was looking for a '69 as well,I just fell in love with this car,especially the color and the RS front-end.Nothing against straight bumper cars but I don't think I would have bought it if it wasn't an RS...I just think it's about the sexist design GM ever created.

I've since tracked down 2 former owners,one who works for the DMV gave me pictures of when it had a Black vinyl top.I have some as well and will try to post soon.

Now...about that double-murder.The 2nd owner was in the military at the time and killed two women who worked at a Oriental massage studio here in Monterey which was still in business when I moved to CA in 1970.He murdered them both and placed one body in the passenger footwell and one in the trunk.These girls must have been small because as we all know...there ain't a whole bunch of room in a 2nd. gen Camaro trunk! He then drove to the nearby artichoke fields when he dumped the bodies.

Supposedly,he had attempted this same thing earlier in San Francisco and the police there had a file on him.The rear of the car was jacked up and had real wide tires out back.The tracks these tires left in the dirt would later come back to haunt him.He apparently had the car repo'd right after the murders but before the police realized he was the suspect.My buddy at the DMV purchased the car not knowing anything about the crime and was attempting to put a new motor in the car (I have no idea what happened to the original motor)when low and behold,there's a knock on the door and it's a whole team of police coming to confiscate the car!Well,since it had no motor at the time and they couldn't take it away,he left to go to work that day as a team of police dismantled his car.Now I'm not sure about you guys...but I'm calling in sick that day if that was my car!

The police go on to remove several item from the dash (including the passenger-side air bezel)that were NEVER returned.When I finally restored it I finally added the missing pieces to the dash and tightened everything up...good as new.All of this information is at the local library and one day soon I will put it all together in an album.I know the killers name and I'm not sure if he's due to be released anytime soon...I just hope he doesn't come looking for his old ride!

Thanks again to Bruce for posting my pictures and thanks guys for looking.

'69 Z/28 Yellow/Aug '07 CHP cover car
'70 Z/28 R/S Orange/Jan '08 CHP featured car
'70 Chevelle SS454 LS-5 Red/Jan '11 CHP cover car