View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 01:40 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 5,999 Times in 2,928 Posts

Wow Lynn, that's pushing the envelope alright. Sounds like something I would try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks Tony

You want the short story or the long story?

Short story is we slid one onto the scissor lift. I crawled under the beam, drove it to where the old post was threading it through my temp posts (had less than 1/4 inch to spare on each side of the lift between my temp posts). Capacity is 500 pounds. I weigh 170 and each beam, after trimming to fit, weighed in at 302 and some change, so pretty close to capacity. Up it went until we got it close enough to wrap six ratchet straps around the old beam and the new beam. Cinched it up a bit, then muscled it upright and cinched it up tight. Put on temp metal straps to keep it there, ran a few screws just to keep it from sliding sideways, and did the same thing with the second one.

The whole project took about 10 hours, which included 3 trips to the hardware store.

Be glad to give you the long story, but most guys would get bored reading that much. Plus, given the nature of the work, I took zero progress pics. Just too busy getting it done to take pics.