View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

On 9/11 she was ordered up in her F-16 to intercept flight 93 before it reached DC. Without rockets or guns, the unspoken order was to ram the commercial jet like a Kamikaze. She, with her commander, took off to do just that but turned back only when they found out the passengers had taken over the plane and forced it to the ground. She is an American hero and a great role model.

As chaos ensued, Lt. Heather "Lucky" Penney was sitting in her F-16 jet at Andrews Air Force Base with very specific orders.

Bring down United Airlines Flight 93 'by any means possible.'

She and Col. Marc Sasseville were given those orders that day, even though they were sitting in planes without any live ammunition. That meant, they both had to plan to ram the hijacked plane with their own jets.

For more than 10 years, Lt. Penney (now a Major), didn't talk about about her experience that day , but in 2011 she gave an interview to C-SPAN, an interview and a story we had not heard until now.

She talked about how Col. Sasseville was ready to ram the cockpit, and she would aim for the tail.

She told the Washington Post: "I genuinely believed that was going to be the last time I took off. The real heroes are the passengers on Flight 93 who were willing to sacrifice themselves. I was just an accidental witness to history."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
69LM1 (09-15-2019), HawkX66 (09-12-2019), markinnaples (09-11-2019), PeteLeathersac (09-11-2019)