View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,022 Times in 414 Posts

I found more history on the car. I know several guys who worked for the old Petersen Publishing Co and still work in the magazine business. Since some of them lived (and still do live) in the San Fernando Valley, I asked them if they recognized the car from my 1984 pictures. One said yes, that looks like my friend Doug Starks' old car from Canoga Park. We checked with Doug and he agreed it was his old car that he bought back in 1977. He saw it advertised in the LA Times (Sept 25, 1977) and it was down in Orange County. The phone numbers appear to be from Westminster but they got the car in Placentia which is next to Fullerton and above Anaheim. They went down to buy the car driving in my friend's '69 Z28 and said the seller looked to be about 19 years old. The price in the ad said $3100 but the recollection was they paid about half that. That advertised price was way above average for the time. The 302 engine was not in the car when they got it and may have been yanked to bring the price down. It had a more generic small block in it, maybe even a 307 but they don't know for sure because Doug resold the car pretty quickly. He does not recall who he sold it to and Frank Brown does not recall who he bought it from but it did stay in the San Fernando Valley by all accounts. The black paint job was pretty fresh in 1977 and the rims on the car at this time were Chevy rally wheels. Interestingly, the blue CA personalized plate read MR Z28. The plate was changed to 388UEG by whoever bought it from Doug.

Hopefully this new information will lead to further ownership history. Maybe somebody down in northern Orange County remembers a car with the license plate MR Z28 on it back in the 1970s?

Does anybody have a cross-reference telephone directory like a Polk Directory from that area that could put a name with those phone numbers?
Attached Images

Last edited by 1967Z28; 06-12-2019 at 03:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1967Z28 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (06-09-2019), ScottG (08-19-2019)