View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 AM

Default The Escalantes '70 Challenger R/T "EL HEMI"

Hello everyone! Great website. What an amazing number of great cars and owners I see here at YENKO.NET. Here is a story I’d like to share with you.

Today is a very special day for me. It marks the 40th anniversary of the day my father (RIP) took delivery of what has become a permanent fixture in the ESCALANTE family, A 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T (EL HEMI).

It was a Friday morning December 12, 1969 when my father went to Northwestern Dodge in Detroit to pick up the car he had ordered a few weeks prior…..an orange with black stripe machine and a HEMI in between the fenders. This HEMI, the motor he had sworn to one day own after hearing one outside a restaurant in Venezuela was now his!

My dad was 27 yrs old and I was 4 when EL HEMI came home. What he did not realize when he bought the car was that it would also become the greatest source of bonding with his two sons and grandsons. Any time you expose kids to kool cars, awesome sounds, and speed, a bond starts to form. In our case it surely did….a bond between our father, ourselves, and this kool car. A recipe that continues to work as my brother Gus and I use it to pass along grandpa’s passion for DODGE MATERIAL among other things.

There are numerous stories and memories we want to share with you. One such story was dad’s drive from Detroit to Chicago in late winter to have the car Dyno Tuned at Mr. Norms. The frequent visits he paid notorious speed shops in the Detroit area where he spent every dime (according to my mom) on the car, were all documented as he kept every receipt for the purchases.

For now…let us pay tribute to an awesome father-grandfather and car enthusiast……Jose Escalante. A good friend of ours convinced us to put our story on a website for people to see and friends and family all over the world to keep up with this kool car we all call EL HEMI. We just updated our website. Check it out. http://www.elhemi.com

“Son….rev it up..c’mon keep it alive…don’t let it die!!!” Dad’s words as I was learning how to drive EL HEMI. I was 14. I am now 44. I can still hear his words when I start the car and occasionally wrestle with the cold natured elephant!

Here is the FAMILIA picture. I am the one in blue jacket

With my brother Gus

Daytona 1972 - DAY TWO LOOK

Tail end of its resto

My father's last visit to see his baby - 3 months after this picture was taken he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Lasted just enough to give me time to jump on a plane and be by his side until his last breath.

There is more at http://www.elhemi.com
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 441763-forum.JPG 433272-1962-volvo-p1800-white-795833.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...