View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 02:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,388 Posts

The fact that you have nothing from the battery now would lead me in that direction. Trying to diagnose a running issue when the engine won't crank over is a moot point. ASSUMING you have a fully charged battery and/or a charged jump pack, look for a loose/corroded cable at battery and starter terminal and ground. If that all looks good, I would clamp my remote starter button to the starter solenoid terminals to make certain that hasn't failed. If the starter runs, cranking the engine over, with the button, I would suspect the ignition switch may have corroded internally over time and has failed. Have you crawled under the column and looked at that ? It may not show any indication of this, and I'm betting you don't have a "spare" sitting on a shelf, but that would be an easy way to test it, by moving the harness to a test switch and pushing the slide manually. You might be able to "test" your switch by holding your fingers on it and turning the key to start and feel if it gets hot, indicating high resistance. You could pull the harness connector off and look for corrosion on the terminals too.
Ah, forgot, '69 will have a neutral safety switch in the circuit too, which you may want to locate and inspect.

Once you find and correct the issue with the cranking circuit, you can move on to the running issue.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles

Last edited by Too Many Projects; 01-15-2022 at 02:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
bbbentley (01-15-2022)