View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Trunk mounted battery

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">N.M.W. battery box in right rear[aiso weight box]. Paul </div></div>

NMW was probably the most &quot;official&quot; battery box but I don't recall seeing them a lot in street cars.
I did a quick looksie through some catalogs 68-72 and the only one I could find was the NMW

But what I have seen most of all in street cars at least in the ISCA show cars circa early to mid 70's was a box that was adapted from marine/boat use.

It kinda looked like a small cooler. Light blue bottom, white lid and it was larger at the top than bottom and it had straps holding the lid down and had vent tubes coming out the side that went downward out of the trunk.

Somebody was selling these boat boxes for automotive use because there was bunch of them in ISCA show cars of the day. ISCA was strict-batteries had to be in boxes in the trunk and each car had to have a fire extinguisher and you got extra points for Gas, Oil Water cans..remember those??

As what Tommy said most guys probably just made something that would hold the battery in place and maybe run some vent tubes.