View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 09:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

Just yesterday, a friend in the local Chevelle Club asked when I was going to get back on the Camaro. I told him soon, as I thought it had been 7 months since I last worked on it. Wow, When I found this thread and opened it, May 17...7 months to the day.
Anyway, I was stalled out on this issue with the right inner wheel house to trunk floor mis-match. I've run into this on every floor I've done, but not this much of a gap. I could pull the inner to the floor, but it was barely touching, so I found the scrap of left inner house I had kept and it had the right curvature and incline to match the patch I needed nearly perfectly.

I started the welding in the corner and was able to clamp the 3 pieces pretty tight underneath, but the top of the patch wanted to stick out away from the house. I didn't want to use a bunch of drill screws to hold it and then have to weld them up, so after welding 3-4 plug holes I quickly reached in while the metal was hot and tapped the patch flat. Dang, I love it when an idea works.

Until it got forward of the curve and widened out for the rust cut out I had to hold tight. I finally came up with 2 old rotors we had recently removed from my son's Malibu to provide enough weight to hold the panels tight.

After welding

1 more rust out patch to make and weld in.

I used another piece of the same wheel house to donate that too.

All knocked down and cleaned up. And, yes, I have a LOT more old undercoating to remove with the crud thug...

One last pic...the NOS gas cap I got from Anthony a few months back...

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (02-11-2022)