View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Congrats on the purchase! I wouldn't make any rash decisions about anything yet. My recommendation would be to think of a long term plan/goal. I know you've tried to buy that car for 30 years, so likely you're a "Graybeard" or approaching it. Do you have the time and energy to see a complete and thorough restoration to the end? You spoke of a real job....restorations and real jobs aren't a good match as the years roll on. In my opinion, the car restored in its final state, no matter how nice, won't be worth as much more with the ZL-1 installed, as that ZL-1 block is worth as it sits. (Did I word that right?) The extra parts alone would likely fund a extremely nice resto., and you might end up with a damn nice 427 stick '68 Camaro conv. for nothing or next to it.
That's just my take coming from a 60 year old guy with a passion for fast cars that still has to work to play. Take your time. Get opinions from REAL guys that can back up an offer with cash on your extra stuff. Often times people get confused with "appraisals" and "buy numbers"; rarely are they the same.
Again, congrats on the purchase, especially, after the long chase. Let it all sink in.