View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 AM

Default Re: '73 SD restoration

mockingbird812, that ’69 Chevelle is the car I lusted after through high school. I lived in NJ until college and our street was on the edge of town, about 2 miles long. The guys 3 houses down had saved their money and bought an SS396/375 and I remember hot summer nights (no air conditioning in our house) with the windows open when they’d burn it out down our street after a bad date. Pure music.

Pete, thanks for the welcome. I’ll have to dig up some photos. No pics of her current condition until after some paint though. It was garage-kept until 2000 when we moved to Maine then it spent 3 years exposed to snow and weather until the garage was finished there. Building houses in Maine is not like any other state we’ve lived in. We live in arid Salt Lake City now and the dry weather is a good preservative for the metal.

Tracker, you’re echoing some of the mental debate I’ve had for the last 40 years….shaving or not. But my wife will likely live longer than I do and I want to leave her with as much money as possible. Then again, we’ve hauled this car all over the USA each time we move and I may decide to give it up myself after satisfying my curiosity of just how well it would do with some minor changes.

So far, my polling of collectors suggests milling the heads would lower the value. Now if when I take it apart, I find that the heads have warped then milling them would be the right thing to do and would increase its value over leaving it alone. Composite head gaskets are awfully thick so it seems a good way to do this but I don’t see many people writing about it which is why I’m asking for opinions. BTW, thanks for all the good info.

Does anyone know a current source for headers?