View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 02:28 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Highly unlikely, I’m a pilot as well as a racer , I’ve used AV gas in many race cars and even some of my street cars at the track never had an issue like that. I’d guess you had some crap in the tank that made its way to the needle and seat and hung it open causing a nasty rich condition from the vent tubes flowing fuel out the top. Holley? ( just a guess but common)

For those running AV gas 100LL now stock up cause it’s going away very soon. The new unleaded AV gas has been approved. Pilots are not happy about the change over I can tell you that but 100LL despite its name actually has a lot of lead in it. So it’s gone.

Keep in mind that Aviation engjnes run at about 2600 rpm’s and this fuel is designed to run that RPM sustained more than 1000 to 6000 Rpms that being said it’s always run well for my cars and lots of landscaping equipment without changes.

Many lycoming engines running av gas are low 7.9 compression. Sometimes as low as 7.0! Big bore engines.
Perhaps there was trash in the needle and seat that I picked up from the hand held gas tank? I am familiar with the issues that trash causes in a needle and seat and my issue did appear that was the problem. I was of the mind set that I was going to have to pull the carb and clean it. But when I put the 93 in the tank and ran the engine up to 5K twice things started getting better? Perhaps I was just lucky and cleared the trash? Right now the car is running like a top and I love the smell of the AV gas.
Here in Sarasota County I can get Sunoco 90 and 100 octane non ethanol at the pump. Will likely just use that simply because of ease of filling the tank. Prior to the AV gas this is what I was running, but just wanted to try the AV Gas.
69 L71 Roadster Survivor
69 L46 Roadster Survivor (Sold)
69 Z/28 RS
69 Dodge Charger R/T
70 W30 442 Auto Air Survivor
2016 Z06 Coupe M7
70 AAR Cuda (Sold)
69 L78 Chevelle