View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 01:28 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Mark:

This is so sad, and I am sure EVERYONE on this site feels pain for you and everyone else affected.

My whole life, I have dealt with most situations by finding humor (kind of like the Docs in the original MASH movie). It can't help that I grew up reading MAD magazine. It is how many of us deal with difficulty. I know that when guys like me post what we find to be humorous it is simply a coping mechanism. Even when I was going through my prostate cancer journey, I used humor as a diversion. You wouldn't believe some of the things my own family said to me, just trying to be funny. I gave it right back to them.

I assure you, no harm is intended.

Our son JUST started a new job and got the word today that they are now closed for at least four weeks. Both of his room mates are also in the service industry, and got the same messages today. They are all three in their 20's and don't have a lot of savings to fall back on. Our non-profit (the museum project) is having to reschedule our FIRST fundraiser because the Oklahoma History Center (where we were planning to gather on April 21) is closed. Our keynote speaker is the Lt. Governor. Now I have to try to get his schedule aligned with the History Center schedule, and most all of the fall dates are already taken.

Even in all of this, the jokes will be flying in our household. That is just how we deal with it. I hope you understand that.

On another note with regard to this: "Her retirement investments are in the shitter..." I honestly believe things will bounce back. Yes, there will be some businessis that don't survive; but most will. The markets were overdue for a correction anyway; they just way over corrected. The underlying strenght of the U.S. and Canada will pull us right through. In time, we will be even better off. Easy to say, but keep your head up buddy. I would hate to be in your shoes having to lay off the good and decent folks who work for you. I am certain it just breaks your heart.
These are sage words. I have 5 kids in their mid to late 20’s and I have found myself really having to stay positive and solution oriented with them.Like many on this site our age has given us lots of scare tissue from economic events. Wars, recession etc. They will continue to plague our society at importuned times. As such we must pull together because this to will pass. I find strength in friends, family and faith during these times. I trust this group will lead from the front during this and this thread, in less then 8 weeks,will be much different!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:
427TJ (03-18-2020)