View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 02:02 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

With some AMD sheet metal on its way to to repair the floors in this car, I have started pulling the body down to prepare it for a trip to the body shop in August. Starting with the firewall, I have removed the wiring harnesses, heater core, steering column, pedal carrier and the brake booster. The lower firewall and toe boards are going to need a little love and while that work is being performed, I'll be busy restoring the sub-frame, front brakes, and rebuilding the rear diff along with the original 4 leaf springs.

Today, I'm sending a set of motor mounts down to Nathan Schmidt at Sweet Ave Fabrication so he can mockup an engine block and frame for the correct Z/28 engine heights. He thinks the MT headers should be completed for September which is awesome. The rest of the Camaro parts I have on order should be along during the same time frame and that's when I'm hoping to have the car back with all the metal work completed and the floors and jambs painted up (fingers crossed). I'll follow that up by starting the assembly process and really hope to have this car finished up over the winter months. In the interim, it's almost down to the bare shell now and a good friend of mine is busy welding together a 2x2 rolling frame jig for the car to sit on. It'll support the front of the shell and the rear frame rails at the anchor points. This will make it easy to work on the car while moving it around as a roller and keeping it square.

Once the metal work is finished up with new rear quarters installed it will move onto the rotisserie where the floors and firewall with get a couple coats of satin paint before the jambs are each dressed in yellow. The inside will also be cleaned up with all of the seams sealed before it also receives a new coat of paint. Seen below are a couple shots of the rear seat frame with the X 7 factory markings intact. Normally these markings are seen in yellow, but this car was factory marked in black? Is that because the inside of the car had yellow floor paint when built so an opposing marker color was used due to the overspray? First time I have seen black markings on a seat frame?

Last edited by NorCam; 07-10-2020 at 02:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
big gear head (07-10-2020), Hawkeye (07-10-2020), jbtech (07-12-2020)