View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Not knowing a lot about the engine other than a report of it being checked out recently by a PA machine shop, I took a peek inside the covers to see what the dates were on the cylinder heads. They are in fact a late set of 186 heads with October 1st casting dates and have not being converted or altered with screw in studs or guide plates. I found the rockers to have M markings on them which was odd, and immediately saw that the covers also had drippers? The M markings are long slot rockers for big blocks are they not? The covers then had me wondering if this was a late change up due to it being a late car as these would be the same as 1970 covers. Anyone in the know what other late cars came with? In the coming week, I will try and learn more about the motor having been gone through to see if the bore is standard or if the rings / bearings were done while it was checked. At this point I am expecting the short block is purely stock with exception of the cam which was reportedly changed to a Comp 3849346 solid lifter replacement cam #12-107-3. Sounds a little docile to me but cam specs are pretty much spot on with the original 30/30. Runs out pretty good from the first few test miles put on the car this week. Not exactly the bottom of the page grinds that I am used to...but it will have to do as I struggle to keep with something stock. More on the engine as it's discovered.

The passenger side showing stock manifolds and spark plug shields. Manifold bolts appear incorrect. (bin bolts)

Correct 186 Camel bump heads dated J 1 9 (October 1st)

Long slot rockers with M markings? Thought this was odd...big block rockers?

Motor has 474207/474208 covers with drippers? They look original but...

Retains original wire separators with correct M marking bolts.

December 15th Addition: I have since learned that the above valve covers are in fact 80's dated replacements, however it has been interesting to learn that more than a few Nov built survivor cars have been found to have come with 70 style dripper covers. I may be changing these covers out to an earlier set of 3965543 & 3965544 covers at some point. I have also been in further contact with the engine builder who told me the rockers are Manley long slot rockers that were added when the engine was rebuilt a few years ago. They are claimed as being a suitable replacement and are marked with an M.

Last edited by NorCam; 12-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.