Yenko Contributing Member

There are 6 1970 Hemicuda Convertible 4-speeds known to exist:
- Black with Black Leather interior (the one that was just unveiled), survivor
- Black with Tan Leather interior (that Myron posted above), survivor
- Black with Blue Vinyl interior (also posted above), survivor
- Purple with Black Vinyl, restored
- Purple with Black Vinyl, restored
- Yellow with Black Vinyl (Canadian), restored

Because the one is Canadian you'll often see references to a production total of "5", because that's just counting the US shipments. But there's actually 6 in total. International shipment totals are unknown, but to date no '70 Hemicuda 'vert 4speeds for International shipment have surfaced.

All 6 have now been shown at MCACN, 5 were all at the big 2015 show. But the Black/Black one that was just unveiled has been in hiding since 1976, making this MCACN unveiling the first time it has really been seen in public in the modern era. The new owner Darryl did a followup interview at MCACN Saturday afternoon, discussing how he was able to buy the car, but I'm not sure if that was recorded and I only caught the tail end. In any case I'd be happy to share some history, as I was one of many who previously pursued this car to no avail.

The original owner, Warren, lived in Del Rio Texas. As I understand in 1970 he worked as a detail guy at the local Plymouth dealership, and ordered this car new. It remained very original, with only small additions like headers, and in 1976 got put into storage because Warren bought a new LeBaron that he preferred as a daily driver. Turns out the 'Cuda would then sit in storage for the next 40+ years. By the mid 1980s, when these cars were starting to increase in value, people would contact Warren, and a rare few might actually get to see the car, but realistically Warren was never interested in selling. He did, however, keep a logbook of whomever contacted him, and in this a ledger of how much they were offering. Yes, I'm sure in that book. But from my conversations with Warren, and speaking to other people who had tried and failed, I fully expected this car would never be sold while Warren was still alive.

With age and relocation becoming factors, turns out earlier this year Warren and his family decided it was finally time. Because of his stellar reputation they contacted Dave Wise to facilitate a sale. As I understand Dave then contacted Darryl. Knowing that this was a very, very big decision for Warren they went down to Del Rio fully prepared, armed with money, tax experts, trailer, tools, etc. They even brought along spare wheels and tires with different lug patterns in case there had been some swapping. Dave and Darryl were then able to get the job done where so many before had failed, and this awesome car finally traded hands for the first time since it was brand new. This was the first time I was able to see it in person, and it is just as awesome as I expected it to be. Neat story.

- Wade
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cudino For This Useful Post:
carnut4life (12-01-2022), Dave Rifkin (12-02-2022), dykstra (05-31-2023), Luvchevs (12-01-2022), lycan (12-04-2022), markjohnson (12-03-2022), mrays (12-01-2022), napa68 (12-01-2022), olredalert (12-01-2022), Pro Stock John (12-01-2022), RobR (12-02-2022), tom406 (12-01-2022), Xplantdad (12-01-2022)