View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Short Block All Buttoned Up

I finally have the bottom end and entire short block together. You may notice that I have an aftermarket SFI 8 inch balancer. You may also recall that I explained earlier that the PO lost the original balancer, so he said. I have several 8 in. factory balancers. Most are assigned to their original engine and I don't want to split them up from the engine they came with. The few other extra ones have severe hammer marks from using a sledge hammer to install BITD.
So, at a swap, back in the winter. this 8 in. gem presents itself. There will be a few items like this that are not technically "Day II", but I think this will be ok and hardly noticed. I did use the correct AOR timing cover, btw. The cam choice gave me more problems than I thought. I wanted something civil on the street. I did not want fouled plugs every other day. I also did not want detonation, so that meant bleeding off some "effective" compression. I also insisted on a solid lifter cam. It was finally decided that I would use my ZL1/ LS-7 cam. I may regret this choice. I also know better grinds are available. I wanted to use what I already had. So, this is the one and that is one less expense I will have. I bought a couple of other items at the swap and sold them for more than I gave for all I bought, so the balancer was free.
Last picture is a teaser- intake & carbs
Attached Images

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbbentley For This Useful Post:
HawkX66 (12-18-2018), markinnaples (05-10-2018)