View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Re: My Truck's engine blew on the way to MCACN...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the Suburban got remodeled in 2000 was when they dropped the diesel engine option. It had nothing to do with heat (that sounds like a typical salesman response, though [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] ) It was about the new Duramax 6.6 and Allison transmission not fitting the floorboard architecture of the new Suburbans.

The 6.5 Detroit Diesel in my truck used the 4L80E heavy duty 4 speed trans. </div></div>
The Dmax/Ally fits fine, it's the intercooler that is the issue...it's a popular swap among GM/Duramax enthusiasts, and most simply go with a 2 inch &quot;reverse rake&quot; body lift for the extra intercooler clearance or a few have gone with a custom shorter intercooler, but the engine/trans will clear, and everything bolts/wires up pretty straight forward [good thing about the GMs]...DuraBurb converts several a year, as do several guys over at Dieselplace. There's finally starting to be a few guys using the Dmax/4L85e combo out of the vans, which I always thought would be the way to go for a Suburban anyway...still plenty of hp/tq but better economy because of the more conservative tune and less hp robbing trans...the 8.1L/4l85e was a good combo in the Suburban minus the fuel mileage, but the Dmax would help that.