View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Savage GT

I own a rare musclecar called The Savage GT and have started a Facebook page to share what I know about these unique cars and hopefully connect with other owners. I am looking for cars and parts for these as I restore mine back to original. Please contact me if you know of any parts, cars, pictures, stories, etc.
Follow along and like my page to catch updates as I add content.

https://www.facebook.com/barracudasavagegt/

Back in the mid to late 1960’s there emerged a few small companies that developed niche supercars and offered them to the public as a special version of the musclecars they could find through the dealer. Shelby, Baldwin Motion, and Yenko offered special cars through a dealer network - representing Ford, and Chevrolet. But, for the Mopar contingent there seemed to be a void. As the 1967 and 1968 Plymouth Barracudas gained in popularity, an idea was born by a small company, Auto Craft, out of Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin - lead by a young enthusiast George Prentice, Jr. They wanted to build a complete road car to compete head to head with the Shelby Mustangs. They based their car on the 1969 Plymouth Barracuda fastback. This special car was called the Savage GT. The car featured many custom touches, as well as performance mods. The exterior was updated with a special front fascia, special hood, sidepipes, and a integrated rear spoiler. Savage emblems were strategically placed in the grille and tailpanel. Also added were special set of custom wheels, Dunlop high speed radial tires and suspension mods that included adjustable sway bars, traction links, and staggered shocks. Inside, the car received a special roll bar with Shelby style retractor harnesses, column mounted tach, and a custom wood steering wheel with Savage GT medallion. Under the hood they added hand-built and dyno tuned fenderwell headers, a Weiand high-rise intake manifold, Holley 4-barrel carb, and dual point distributor. One source tells about the 340 engines being dyno tested at Mr. Norm’s Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago - where they were pushing 375 HP. Production figures estimate that there were only about 13 cars total built. (8) 340, (4) 383, and (1) 440. I have discovered 6 cars that have survived. Check out my Facebook page for the story and pictures of cars and details about them.

Attachments - The Supercar Registry savage_race_car.jpg FB_IMG_1574232547348.jpg FB_IMG_1574232323581.jpg FB_IMG_1574232094949.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...