View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 10:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Finally I did the toe today. I tried two measurement versions to see if they match up. (They did). I used the old Manco Wheel Alignment tool. You set it behind the front wheels and zero the gauge. You them move it to the front of the front wheels and read what it says. Though the initial reading was about 16 on the scale, which reads in 1/32nds, When I tried my other method, it showed a difference of 1-1/2 inches between the rear measurement and the front.

My second method is to take a metal straight edge, hold it tight agains the tire and trace a chalk line along the straight edge. You do that to both wheels. Then simply measure the distance under the car from one line to the other. Subtract them from each other and you get the amount of toe-in or toe-out. I had 71-1/2" behind the wheel and 70" in front.

So I adjusted the tie rods to move the passenger side wheel out (which was noticeable turned in) and wound up with a measurement difference of 1/16" which is the spec. After I adjusted the wheels, I made new chalk marks and verified the Manco gauge results.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 11-29-2020 at 10:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (12-01-2020)