Thread: Home Generators
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
I have a portable Generac which I've kept running with fresh fuel in case I ever need it. Thought of a large permanent one but have never pulled the trigger. How often does your see actual use?
Since I have been in the home, 7 years, it has been used or activated about 3 times where it was in use for a while. The most significant time was in the fall of 2012 when remnants of Hurricane Sandy came through our area. The generator ran for about 2 days straight until power was restored. I have sump pumps and the generator saved our home. Had I not had it, my basement literally would have been an indoor swimming pool.

I could not believe the amount of water that was coming into the sump well during that time it was actually scary. Most of my neighbors flooded and had extensive damage. Since then I beefed up my sump pumps. I have 2, 1/2 horsepower Liberty pumps, a primary and back up, in the well that are plumbed out in different locations.

We had a brown out in late June of this year that screwed up the transfer switch solenoids. Plus the generator is not cycling weekly like it is supposed to do. It was installed in 2005. It has quite a bit of hours logged on it as well. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to a flooded basement. I do have a portable Generac generator just to keep the sump pumps going in the event the big generator poops out. Trouble is you have to be home to get that up and running. Just a nice peace of mind.

Rich