View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 AM

Sam, I grew up in a coal mining town north of Pittsburgh called Wildwood. Lived in Bakerstown during the years I had the Chevelle. Never took it to the strip like I did with the Buick.
Helmet, beautiful machine. I was only in RI a short time before we returned to Pitt. Off the lot with factory wheels. I never went back to Norwood after the sale. Knowing what I do now about that place I would have liked to hang out, maybe volunteer as pit crew with them. While the car was being prepped they were generous with tips on power timing, ignition, jetting and such. The salesman made the comment that I had a special car. If only I had known then how special it really was.
So, my friend Tom usually rode shotgun when we cruised as he was doing the night we pulled into the Washington Blvd EatnPark. There was the usual assortment of muscle cars as was the norm in those days but one car stood out. An all black GTO which sat almost as high as my car. Quite a few people were gathered around it looking under the hood. Of course every one turned as we entered, on cruise nights I only had one bolt on each side loosely holding the exhaust to the collector. We parked and joined the admirers at the goat. It was a sweet looking car with tripower. After small talk Tom my negotiator made the $100 challenge. The most the owner could come up with was $60 after borrowing part of it. Only took a minute to open the headers.Tom went with a friend of the GTO who was holding his money. We drove out to the Highland Park Bridge with the whole parking lot following us. He was on my left side as we lined up. His girl friend was going to give us a 3 count. She gave me a quick count, 1-23 and he pulled a hole shot on me. SOB, I dumped the clutch and that Chevelle raised up, no squat and just rocketed forward. I got to the end of the bridge and pulled across both lanes as he rolled up. My friend a rather large individual was immediately at the other drivers door. He apologized, payment was made and then he ask if we could run again down route 28 since we were both going that way. My mistake. We swung onto 28 towards Etna with the whole pack of cars following. Of course I smoked him again and continued on. Tom yells “there is something going on back there. Head lights swerving and a red flashing light”. Well directly I have a cop on my butt and I’m not outrunning him with my gears. I pull over and he charges up to my door. “Your friends back there tried to block me but a couple of shots scattered them! I got the other guys tag, your under arrest. Follow me”. Now in Pennsylvania they had passed a strict drag racing law due to all the kids killing themselves. Impound your car, $1000 fine, and a years suspension of your license. I follow this cop to a magistrates place. He says $1000 bond. Cost you $60 for 1000 and you can go till the hearing. I had just won $60 so no problem. Figured the 60 went in his pocket. Tom and I go to our local Winkies burger joint and tell our story to the locals. A fellow I know there says his uncle is a constable over there. See what he can do. Well by the time the hearing came word got to me to bring $100 and it would go away. Tom and I drive up to the magistrates office on the appointed night and the GTO is already there. Same cop comes out leans in my window and says “you ready”. Me being a little slow I just stare at him till Tom gives me a shove and I hand over the hundred. Same thing to the GTO. Cop goes inside and he and the magistrate start screaming at each other about who should get the bigger cut. BS I say and start the car to leave. Again Toms cooler head made me stop. We get called inside and the magistrate gives a lousy acting job of how he will be magnanimous and let us off with the warning to never come thru Aspinwall again.
Then there was the fellow who broke down in tears after spending $2000 on performance parts on his 440 six pack only to get beat.
300deluxeL79 (07-07-2019), bbl78 (07-10-2019), cwc (06-15-2019), downunder1 (06-15-2019), GearheadSS (08-28-2020), Igosplut (07-08-2019), John (06-13-2019), L78M22Rag (06-13-2019), markinnaples (06-17-2019), mockingbird812 (06-15-2019), NorCam (06-15-2019), PeteLeathersac (06-15-2019), southernfriedcj (06-13-2019)