Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 PM

Default NHRA - Raceway Park - Camaro

After twelve years a Camaro won a race in Pro Stock. Greg Anderson accomplished the task. Special day for Ken Black Racing too as this was Ken's 100th win.

Jason Line had the advantage most of the way down the track in the final, but Greg passed him at the end. Fishy? Team orders? Camaro pressure? We may never know [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

In any event, congratulations Camaro [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: NHRA - Raceway Park - Camaro

I was there yesterday for both Sat qualifying sessions Don. I saw the crew working on the new Camaro. That car was fast, and a good looking car too. No way that team would fix a race. You never know who will win when the 2 Summit cars go at it.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 AM

Looking at all the results.....Chevy pretty much owned the place.

Kurt

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...ventresultnews

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 06-04-2012, 01:57 AM

Maybe I'm just getting too old but none of those Pro Stock cars are even close to being what they represent. Pro Stock has gotten so far away from what it was when it first started back in the late '60's. That Camaro is nothing more than a tube chasis with some fiberglas &quot;Camaro&quot; body on it.
Call me crazy but, I'd prefer it if Pro Stock actually used the cars from the manufacturer, like they did in the day, and let the teams throw bigger engines in the cars or different transmissions but, they need to retain the factory dimensions and at least a percentage of the original body.
It's great that a &quot;Camaro&quot; won; I just wish it was a real car.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 AM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 424 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Rifkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...It's great that a &quot;Camaro&quot; won; I just wish it was a real car. </div></div>

X2
Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 AM

I personally would like to see someone win besides the Summit boys. Seems like a repeat each week. I would really like to see Erica Enders beat them both a few times

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 AM

It would be insane to think you could use assembly line Camaros in a pro stock class. These cars are going 212 mph, in 6.5 seconds. Have you ever seen a pro stock car hit the wall, and flip over 10 times. Any car that resembles an assembly line car, would burst into a million pieces, and so would the driver. There are plenty of other classes for the factory cars to run in, but pro stock isn''t one of them.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Rifkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's great that a &quot;Camaro&quot; won; I just wish it was a real car. </div></div>

Exactly!

Todays ProStockers look more like the Funny cars from the 70's

They should have kept the regulations at steel body, only fibreglass in front, hood and reardeck. AND retained the stock body dimensions.

Those were the days...

But I have to say, they are cool race cars.

Our Swedish hero Jimmy Ålund, seven times European ProStock champion got himself a Camaro for this year.
http://www.jimmyalund.com/

He also has an all original 1970 LS6 Chevelle that he took over from his dad.

Jan
My Car My Book My Photos
Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanked 3,897 Times in 1,005 Posts

A local racer and I were just discussing this in the shop last night. I hardly ever watch NASCAR or drag racing anymore and one of the big reasons is what was just stated above. They all look pretty much the same with a slightly different nose and tail so you know who they represent but otherwise they have become cookie cutter billboards for the sponsors. Gone are the days that kids sit in the stands and root for their Chevy or Ford and dad went to the dealer on Monday to purchase the car he watched race on Sunday. If these cars went back to resembling what the showroom cars looked like I think they would stir up some more spectator and possibly buyer interest. Understand, they would not be as aerodynamic as these cars are today but that is what influenced the manufacturers to do better in the first place and what made to competition so fierce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A local racer and I were just discussing this in the shop last night. I hardly ever watch NASCAR or drag racing anymore and one of the big reasons is what was just stated above. They all look pretty much the same with a slightly different nose and tail so you know who they represent but otherwise they have become cookie cutter billboards for the sponsors. Gone are the days that kids sit in the stands and root for their Chevy or Ford and dad went to the dealer on Monday to purchase the car he watched race on Sunday. <span style="font-weight: bold">If these cars went back to resembling what the showroom cars looked like I think they would stir up some more spectator and possibly buyer interest.</span> Understand, they would not be as aerodynamic as these cars are today but that is what influenced the manufacturers to do better in the first place and what made to competition so fierce. </div></div>
Boy, I dunno...at the national events anything with a door means &quot;bathroom break&quot; to 99% of the spectators, while the stands will be packed for the nitro T/F and Funny classes (and there is even *less* brand recognition with them).

I think the litmus test may be the ADRL's new &quot;Supercar&quot; class, which features modified versions of the latest factory heavy hitters from the big 3 (ZL1, CobraJet, DragPak)...I've heard mixed thoughts on the spectator turnout thus far, though.