Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 07-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,178 Times in 538 Posts
Default WIW-'69 ZL-1 engine, assembled

I'm working on an estate project and among a big, loose collection of early Ford cars there is, on a stand, a complete '69 ZL1 that was assembled and dyno'd in 2009. Block was cast 5 23 69 and heads are 842's with the heat passages welded shut. Crank is a stock 6223 forged unit with Eagle rods and new pistons (10.57:1) Dyno sheets showed peak of 500.3 hp@ 5900RPM. I didn't recognize the shop (should've written it down), but the data and record keeping looked pretty good. Aftermarket intake, no carb or distributor, valve train is all Jeg's/aftermarket. Block has a big weld up the side and pad is smooth with no identifying stamps present. Been sitting for 5+ years but I think it should be a runner after due diligence. I'd appreciate any and all honest opinions of what this lovely widow should expect to get for such an engine on the open market. Thanks in advance for your comments. I will try and check PM's often as I'm sure some of you would prefer to have your opinions kept private. -TOM
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 49200.jpg 49199.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Default Re: WIW-'69 ZL-1 engine, assembled

I'll take a stab. If you find someone that needs a dated block that matches their car, you can get all the $. But, I think the block is dated a bit late for most original ZL-1 cars. The block has an ugly repair that would have to be fixed if used in a real car. That could be fixed almost perfectly (but would cost money)I assume someone would want to go thru the motor again to double check things before firing up. (more money)

The rest of the parts are not worth as much, as the heads are incorrect, although 842's are worth some cash, but with water passages welded, I don't know how that affects value.

I sold a running dyno'd (623hp)ZL-1 engine for 23k... I've sold used Yenko/ZL-1 blocks for over 10k. This was a few years ago when things may have been stronger. I've seen ZL-1 motors/blocks on Ebay lately for a long time without selling. I know a member here just sold his
zl-1 motor... you may try contacting him to get a real world value. I'd say that on Ebay it would bid between 9-13k...possibly more if two guys just gotta have it !!

any less than that, give me a call !!! haha good luck to the owner with the sale !!

BTW, is there a stamped number on the center rear of the block just above the bellhousing flange? any stampings on the front pad?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanked 2,178 Times in 538 Posts
Default Re: WIW-'69 ZL-1 engine, assembled

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input. Pad is smooth, I think there was a stamp on the back, but it looked like rebuilder stuff to me so I didn't write it down. If I go back I will note and take more pics. I looked at it after having looked over 6 cars so I was a little spent.