Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Comments/Suggestions > Comments, Suggestions, Problems

Old 02-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Upgraded board

Just a few thoughts on the updates:

Nice job!

- On the main index, I liked seeing how many new topic and posts there were in a given form. Now it just shows that there are new posts.

- Any way to condense the main index a little? I like not having to scroll all the time (just lazy?), but I can only see about 6 forums on the screen. Could see a bunch more before.

- Question/suggestion: Do we really want/need the Scuncio and Dana forums? 3 posts each in a year? May be time to add them to the 'Other Dealers' forum. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Upgraded board

I second Kurt's suggestions. I miss the "new posts and new threads" counts on the main page, and I wish there were a compact view of the main page with perhaps one line for each forum so that one doesn't have to scroll so much to go on to the next forum.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:36 AM

Rob,

Didn't the old board have a feature that automatically indicated who (or is it whom?) you are replying to if you post through the Reply button? As the board continues to grow its membership and people get more chatty, it's hard to follow who's saying what to whom (I think that's the right grammar). I know you can use the Quote button, but that just clutters up the board if you don't need it for specific references...

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 02-14-2003, 03:53 PM

I do like how you can go to the user list and not have to wonder through all the numbers tryig to find a persons screen name and all now the Alph and # are listed on the top of the page so you can go straight to H and look for a screen name that starts with H or C for C
Old 02-14-2003, 08:23 PM

Well, I'm still tinkering with the board, and making sure it's gonna work, but all seems well...for now. I eliminated the "invisible browsing" option, and plan an adding a few other features, but I'll try and answer you questions below...

- On the main index, I liked seeing how many new topic and posts there were in a given form. Now it just shows that there are new posts.

The upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2 was aimed at reducing "queries" and increasing the overall speed of the board. For example, to put the number of new since last visited on the front page would require checking different post counts against each other, which eats both time and bandwidth. Not a big change, but the programmers feel (as do I) that every little bit helps. If the light bulb is "on", then open that forum as normal, and the numbers of new posts in each thread are there (in red). Same thing, only better!

- Any way to condense the main index a little? I like not having to scroll all the time (just lazy?), but I can only see about 6 forums on the screen. Could see a bunch more before.

I can understand that, as the "last post" column eats some room. I'm considering eliminating that column all together, which would allow the others to squeeze over, and lessen the "height" of the board.

- Question/suggestion: Do we really want/need the Scuncio and Dana forums? 3 posts each in a year? May be time to add them to the 'Other Dealers' forum.

Agreed. That is on the agenda!

- I miss the "new posts and new threads" counts on the main page, and I wish there were a compact view of the main page with perhaps one line for each forum so that one doesn't have to scroll so much to go on to the next forum.

Gonna see what I can do, but I hate to mess with it too much, because every little bit that is "hacked" now, could mean problems down the road, and searching through code to find problems, like a ";" where a ":" should be is a PAIN!

- Didn't the old board have a feature that automatically indicated who (or is it whom?) you are replying to if you post through the Reply button?

Not sure about that...I can barely remember what I had for breakfast!
Old 02-14-2003, 08:38 PM

Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,005 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't the old board have a feature that automatically indicated who (or is it whom?) you are replying to if you post through the Reply button?

Not sure about that...I can barely remember what I had for breakfast!

[/ QUOTE ]

That feature was indeed there and I agree. Sometimes I read a response and ask, now was he referencing xxxxx or was he referencing xxxxxxx? It was nice to know especially when topics went astray throughout the thread. It kept you on track. JMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 02-14-2003, 10:00 PM

Thanked 1,657 Times in 486 Posts

I think that feature still works if you select the reply button of the post you want to reply to. You don't have to select the last reply button at the end of the thread.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,176 Posts

I am hitting the reply Button to JoeC,yet it only shows the title,not specific poster I am responding to.
I would guess that is what the Quote button is for.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:27 PM

Each reply used to show it's parent, as well. Now they are all "re: main topic".
-Sam
Old 02-15-2003, 06:41 PM

Oddly enough, I found this is a common complaint found by other admins that upgraded to 6.2, and it seems they are all "hacking" it back to show "re: username" like it was in 6.1! 2 less queries involved when you use "re: topic"...another speed issue addressed in the upgrade, but most feel it isn't worth it.