Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Default Re: yenko camaro

Gary Dyer was a lot of where MR. Norm went.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,254 Posts

aaah...Super CFL.
http://www.radiotimeline.com/am1000wcfl.htm

Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How out of shape would a 6-bbl car have to be to be taken by a 4-bbl car, because from *my* vantage point (from the opposite lane!) those are 2 *very* different animals! Honestly, it ain't the 4-bbl cars that keep me awake at night...

[/ QUOTE ]

How out of shape, you ask?? Very......

MB
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How out of shape would a 6-bbl car have to be to be taken by a 4-bbl car, because from *my* vantage point (from the opposite lane!) those are 2 *very* different animals! Honestly, it ain't the 4-bbl cars that keep me awake at night...

[/ QUOTE ]

MB

[/ QUOTE ]

last I checked, I thought L88s had a 4 brl, but yet the 435hp engines had a 6 brl setup...so please tell me the logic there..(could a rejetted 4brl actually be ok?). Would my 69 camaro L78 be that much better off with the 3 dueces? Innocent question, fill me in.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 AM

A '66 L72 is a faster car than a '67 L71. I've always used the logic of single 4bbl to 3x2 set up.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MB

[/ QUOTE ]

last I checked, I thought L88s had a 4 brl, but yet the 435hp engines had a 6 brl setup...so please tell me the logic there..(could a rejetted 4brl actually be ok?). Would my 69 camaro L78 be that much better off with the 3 dueces? Innocent question, fill me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The top level GM cars had pretty decent intakes and big Holleys. Or Quadrajets- which can be a pretty decent race carb if prepped right. The Mopar iron 4 barrel intake/AVS setup is an absolute TURD. The sixpack setup was a significant improvement over the AVS/iron 4V manifold. Forget about the factory ratings. Take a look at what NHRA rates a particular combo. No way a six pack is only 15HP better than a 4V. Just no way.

As for the GM Holley Tripower. The manifold was too low in order to fit under the Vette hood, and the plenum volume suffered. Don't forget- your comparing a big dual feed Holley and a hi rise manifold to a Tri power- pretty comparable with the edge going to the 4V. The Mopar comparison is apples to oranges.

MB
Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MB

[/ QUOTE ]

last I checked, I thought L88s had a 4 brl, but yet the 435hp engines had a 6 brl setup...so please tell me the logic there ..(could a rejetted 4brl actually be ok?). Would my 69 camaro L78 be that much better off with the 3 dueces? Innocent question, fill me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a world of difference between those two engines. The L88 was rated under the tri power 427 to keep the people that wanted to buy the highest rated h.p. from buying the L88 which was not a street engine. It was a race engine with a "true" h.p. of around 560. 12.5:1 comperession, HUGH cam, BIG carb, cowl induction. Think race Hemi competitor. The engine didn't even have a fan shroud and would over heat under 45 mph.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 AM

I am not a Mr. Norms expert but I do know that the 1968 GSS 440 Darts were built by Dodge then sent to Hurst/ Campbell for the 440 install then sold exclusively by Grand Spaulding Dodge. Its my understanding Mr. Norm had to show Dodge that a 440 could fit in that Dart before they would build it by installing a few 440s in his Darts?

I see Mr. Norm in the same view as Baldwin Motion in that they were both tuners and would modify your car anyway you wanted? Grand Spaulding Dodge did it all in house and Baldwin sent the cars down to Joel is the main difference I can see?

Don Yenko with his relationship with Chevy and National network of 19 or 20 Yenko authorized dealers was in a different league it seems to me???
Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 AM

I would believe they are in a different league also.Motion wasnt a dealer of new cars. They were a high performance shop as was Mr Norm. Yenko was a dealer. He sold his own cars maybe I'm wrong but from what I gather the YENKOS already had most of the work done to the as they were COPOs except for the 67-68s. Maybe I'm wrong.Could someone shed a little light on this for me? I dont mean to hi jack the thread but I've wondered this for a while
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM

Baldwin/Motion was a colaboration between dealer and independant performance shop.

Mr. Norm's was the largest Dodge dealer in the country not only selling performance cars but major State contracts for fleet vehicles. It was actually a physically tiny dealership that rented space all over the neighborhood to store cars. They did in house dyno tuning and both Mopar and aftermarket upgrades. The dealership was actually an old coverted gas station.

Yenko started by installing new crate 427s in cars the factory would not install them in until he discovered that he could order them that way through the COPO program.

Any dealership in the country COULD have done the same thing as these guys did. Mr. Norm's Grand Spalding Dodge had the advantage over all the others simply because he was located in the largest city (Chicago) of all these other dealers.