Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Camaro/Nova NOS Vintage Blackjack Headers

Per my other thread with the big block headers, here is a set of NOS 67-69 Camaro Blackjack headers. Square flanges. I'm guessing they aren't Appliance headers since the part number on the tubes doesn't match anything in the Appliance catalog.
Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts
Default Re: Camaro/Nova NOS Vintage Blackjack Headers

Those look like the ones I have for my 68 Z. I always assumed they were Blackjacks..

Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 PM

I bet if you checked your tubes before they go into the collector they'll have the same part number.

-Matt
Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Ill take a look and see.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Any idea what year those were from? I have a older set with a different head flange (single) and collector flange (round) . They are older and different than another early/mid 80's version I have so I assumed they were from the 70's...I'd like to date mine. I like those you've posted! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

BIG
Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM

Thanked 5,987 Times in 2,920 Posts

I could be wrong, but I thought the Appliance headers all had a welded collector flange rather than the loose flange.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 PM

Some info/facts/guesstimates...
APPLIANCE LATE. 60's Early 70's ...
BB &amp; SB ......Mostly Individual head flanges with or without P/N...mostly odd tubing bends,placement into collector with Welded on 4 Bolt flange.
The same P/N Sets had various bolt pattern collector bolt up diameters. (availability ??)

MOST All the early welding was Stick /gas welding on the flanges, tubes, collectors , later came electric welds, then mig/tig style.......
CLUE. ....The sloppier the weld with thick beads ,,The OLDER. the HEADERS....

Appliance did mix up collector flanges as later they went from welded 4 bolts to welded 3 bolts....then some, not all, but some applications used swivel 4 &amp; 3 bolt flanges......
When Black Jack superceded Appliance they retained alot of old style/old stock components to build up inventory.
Another Major Variance is; Collector Length....
It seems The Early stuff had Longer Collectors.

Most BlackJack 1rst Gen were Individual Head Flanges. with Either welded collector flanges then swivel 4 bolts......eventually they became all swivals when MR. GASKET/ GRACE Took over and the Quality really Declined , loosing the Black Jack name altogether,,,,, becoming packaged as Mr.Gasket Brand.

This is when you saw computer design for multiple applications taking away the unique multiple bends,spaghetti look tubes into a generic look like today's Headers.(Less Materials, Less hand construction, Less parts, Less steps meant Higher units produced with higher profits.

Keep in mind, the manufacturing, welding process and components were Teamed out (Various Groups building similar units) Mass Produced. Using what was in their bins.

The Higher End Competition Headers were all Handmade,Hand Assembled by only a few craftsmen such as STAHL, DOUGS,HEDMAN,JARDINE etc. Using Stick/Gas techniques.... some later went mig.......
These Headers are Much Harder to come by as the Volume built was Quite lower than Brand Name SpeedShop Headers

Conclusion,,,,, its a confusing hit n miss use your best judgment and seat of the pants......Nothing is ETCHED in STONE....
Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Very good Tom -- you're dating yourself!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:20 AM

OMG
If my wife heard I was &quot;dating&quot;. myself,,, she'd Laugh herself to not needing me at all......Lol

By the Way ! I just turned 56 in March....
Its not dating myself, its ,,,,,I was &quot;born into&quot; my Dad's pit crew .....I have Pics at Salem (Quaker City) from 1962 on the blanket in the Pits as Dad was Racing ....... A few things I knew at 10 years old,,,,were Headers.....Bill Jenkins was &quot;God&quot;. and
Jim &quot;JiJi&quot; Boburka from Crivelli Chevrolet just received a &quot;New '69 Model&quot; Z/28 to Run NHRA Stock /Super Stock.....he won 2 National Titles with it and Many NED #1 Championships.
HEADERS as a Kid...a Young guy and. a newly eligible AARP or Occupant....guy, HEADERS are Still The # 1 Bolt on.....
Thanks. luv ya too...