Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 10-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1966 Yenko Stinger for sale

Interesting thread to say the least. I'll toss in my 2 cents based on what I've read here. It appears there should be 2 definitions, a Canonsburg Yenko and a Douglass Yenko. The Canonsburg Yenko being the VIN's from the original list that came out. I would call them both Yenko's, but when it came time to sell it I would identify it as whichever one it is. That's my opinion and it doesn't mean much.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:30 AM

Wanna see a picture? This is back in February 02
1969 JDY 252
Old 10-08-2002, 12:39 AM
SCR Sponsor

Frank,
There have been no other Double COPO Camaros or COPO Chevelles direct ordered by a Yenko Sports Car Authorized dealer and then sold to the public as Yenkos.If more are found then these too should be considered Yenkos.

The stripes were available after not before the Douglass Yenko order and primarilly I would suspect for replacement on any of the cars which were originally done that way.

For example a dented fender/door/1/4 panel which needed to be restriped or stripes which peeled off for one reason or another.

I can tell you from experience that it only took three to four winters of salt and snow to completely rust through Camaro floor pans if the car was not cleaned and maintained.

The stripes on a year round driven high mile car wouldn't have faired as well.

The Clary's can correct me if I am wrong but we have not seen the use of Yenko Stripes by any other Dealer any where at a date earlier than on the Jack Douglass Yenkos.

Brian,
To insinuate that people were taken advantage of by Jack Douglasss and It took 30 yeras to find out this fact is simply preposterous.

My opinions are with Frank, people wouldn't have given a rat's hynee about where the cars had been invoiced to. They were buying the L72 9561 COPO option and 9737 Yenko Sports car conversion option. It is only today that some (actually only a few) people can't acknowledge that this did indeed take place and that it is a special foot note in Yenko and Super Car History.

Tim,
You asked a question to which the answer was a foregone conclusion.

While I may get flamed,I have all the deepest respect for the late great Don Yenko, I can only speculate if he were around to be asked if these Yenkos were considered in his total count?

I propose, why then was there no other dealer in the Chicago Illinois market to sell Yenkos? The answer is very simple. Jack Douglass was the only authorized dealer in the territory.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:40 AM

Steve do you have photos of your car when delivered from Douglass with all the Yenko stuff on it ?
Old 10-08-2002, 12:41 AM

Frank, If you read my pior post, I said the same exact think. Most people would not or did not car if it was a Canonsburg car. Only now is it a big deal. There is the Douglass camp and the Yenko camp, that is clear. There is a new camp starting to form, It's the I am just tired of this topic camp...BKH
Old 10-08-2002, 12:54 AM

Stefano, are you telling me that if you bought a Douglass stiped Yenko new, and now just found out that it was not a Canonsburg car from the start you would be happy about it? How many people would rather own a Douglass Yenko over a Canonsburg Yenko? This might be an interesting poll. It might not mean a hill of beans then, but it is relivent now....BKH
Old 10-08-2002, 01:31 AM

This has been a fun topic so far. The responses and posts have been quite numerous. It's as if a bunch of us are sitting around on a summer night at some drive-in or diner somewhere discussing the Douglass thing ! The internet really is a great medium for this sort of thing.

Brian, your question to pick one; a Douglass Yenko, or a Cannonsburg Yenko is a little tough. There are inherent monetary values associated with each.
A Cannonsburg Yenko is just that. It comes without controversy. It is without question.
A Douglass Yenko is going to come with controversy. We have proven that over the last two days right here! There are two sides to this camp. I don't see this changing. Opinions have been made on this issue.
I think the Douglass Yenko's are really neat, they have some extra little options that really set them apart, only 5 or 6 of 25 have surfaced, and they have a great story to go along with them [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
It's not like these cars have traded hands much, but I do see a demand and interest for them. Hey, time will tell [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
You tell me...are you really getting tired of this topic?
How did you feel when the car was first trailered into your shop? I sensed a certain excitement on your part.
While you were going over my car I was drooling over your low mileage Yenko. It was a fun day for me. We were both enjoying Yenkos. One was built in Pennsylvania and spent it's whole life there, the other was built in Illinois and had spent it's whole life there.
I can't wait till next year's reunion!! Rob, sign me up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 02:01 AM

This isn't durrogatory but I'd love to see a red black Yenko stripe Douglass copo endura bumper car atlas wheels. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 03:48 AM

I respect all of the members of this site. Every one contributes when they post no mater the subject or content of their posts. But in this case I have STRONG feelings about this topic. The CAMP I come from is that a member in good standing of this site COULD most likely suffer as a result of this thread in relation to the sale of his YENKO Camaro and what he will get for it dollar wise and that my friends is serious business especially when that is what you do for a living. I don't know how any one could be sick of this subject. Mabye because it isn't your car. Would you be sick of it if it was? I am just venting because this is all supposed to be for the fun of the hobby and to learn about and read new ideas related the cars we love so much. This is different though. The thread does keep going and going with seems like no end or final decision but that is why this forum is so great with all of the KNOWLEDGEABLE people on hand a complex issue like this should be addressed as it will probably come up in the future. Mabye to resolve this a poll is in order. I am not siding with Stefano for any other reason than I would side with any one else on this site that I have learned from. Regaurding this issue I just think we are being a little to anal retentive and this may affect members of this site that own or plan to sell their Douglas cars.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:03 AM
SCR Sponsor

Frank ,Thanks for the kind words your spiff check is in the mail [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Jeff, Your reply is right on target with my thoughts.

First and foremost we have the physical evidence, the cars themselves. Several of the found examples are low miles original drive train COPOs. We also have the first party dealer principal himself and several of his key employees as well as family members Who also verify the occurrence.

A signed and notorized certificate of Douglass Yenko verification is used by Jack to Authenticate his verified COPOs.

The COPO Connection recognizes these COPOs as Yenkos and they carry a full Yenko Vehicle certificate with Douglass specific information and details.

We have the fact that Douglass was authorized by Yenko to sell the cars as Yenkos. (Eveyone look up the long definition of authorize). Since Don sold more than one Stripe kit to Douglass for the express intent of installing them on his direct order COPOs as well as the fact that he allowed Jack to advertise and Represent Yenko Sports Cars, Inc. is better than any written agreement without the physical evidence could ever be.

We have Estate Documents in Don's own hand writing stating that the situation took place as Douglass has stated while pegging the number of cars at 23. Where did Don get the number from. Has anyone ever wondered?

Yet for some it is not enough. They still ask for more.

I was not the first one to put the Yenko name ,badge and crest on these Camaros it was Jack Douglass and he purchased the items to do so and with the full knowledge of his express intent acknowledged and supported by Don Yenko himself.

To not install, at a minimum, the emblems and crest on one of these special COPOs as they were delivered to the consumer and as they were viewed in awe by their competition would be a great injustice to the Legacy of Don Yenko.

Jack didn't make the Douglass cars Yenkos, Don Did. Don's own word says that 23 of the Douglass ordered COPOs were sold as Yenkos. I have one of those 23 Yenkos.(Period)