Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Whats up with Musclecar Enthusiast magazine, g

I got mine yesterday and was also disappointed. I subscribe to about 5 car magazines and I have to say that Hemmings Muscle Machines is by far the best Musclecar magazine on the market.
It always has alot of pages, top quality photographs, great articles and usually shows alot of unusual or rare cars.
I would highly recommend it and im in no way affiliated with the magazine, im just passing along my thoughts.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I believe you guys have enough info and people to start your own Magazine about Pure Stock Racing. I think the sport is big enough to maybe support a bi-monthly magazine.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 PM

It may be a perect time for Tom Shaw to step up and offer some more T-shirts and 2 year subscriptions to a magazine that doesn't exist!!! LOL!!!! I was unaware MCR was monthly now but I will suscribe to it now that I know, Rich

raiv 69 judge, ra3 70 judge, 71 judge,74 SD trans am,71 cudas, 67 189 Corvette roadster, Quicksilver 68 HURST
z-10 396 camaro, 69 HEMIBEE
Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It may be a perect time for Tom Shaw to step up and offer some more T-shirts and 2 year subscriptions to a magazine that doesn't exist!!! LOL!!!! I was unaware MCR was monthly now but I will suscribe to it now that I know, Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, I sent the sub money and didn't even get the T-shirt!!
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Be darn glad to only be out sub money fellas, some unfortunate few weren't so lucky...
Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Whats up with Musclecar Enthusiast magazine, geez!

I can't speak to this particular magazine but car magazine staffs are under INTENSE pressure to put every issue together as CHEAPLY as possible. I think Frieburger even wrote about it a few years ago in his Hot Rod column. Numerous different magazines have been sucked-up into large corporate publishing conglomerates and their only concern is making a buck as cheaply as possible. If a magazine sucks it's probably because their budget sucks. If it's filled-up with ads and only a few car features well that's just business. The die-hard staffers with real pride in what they do, like Frieburger and Magnante and Pat Ganahl (and guys like the late Gray Baskerville), bust their asses for us for not much pay. No million-dollar bonuses for these guys.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, I sent the sub money and didn't even get the T-shirt!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yea what they said, got my dough to, fricken bozo.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't speak to this particular magazine but car magazine staffs are under INTENSE pressure to put every issue together as CHEAPLY as possible. I think Frieburger even wrote about it a few years ago in his Hot Rod column. Numerous different magazines have been sucked-up into large corporate publishing conglomerates and their only concern is making a buck as cheaply as possible. If a magazine sucks it's probably because their budget sucks. If it's filled-up with ads and only a few car features well that's just business. The die-hard staffers with real pride in what they do, like Frieburger and Magnante and Pat Ganahl (and guys like the late Gray Baskerville), bust their asses for us for not much pay. No million-dollar bonuses for these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill is very much on point.

To preface, this is not directed at any specific publication, but more an overall generalization. That being said...

I have a very good friend who's been in the magazine business for many, many years, even serving as editor for one of the largest-circulation publications at one time (not going to mention names for obvious reasons), and they've shared with me many of the "ins and outs" of how the magazine business works today, esp. since so many have been bought up and placed under one corporate roof. What it boils down to is the advertisers, not the readers. The magazines don't make their money off of subscription fees, nor from newsstand earnings (despite the hefty price tag). Their primary source of income is the advertisers, which brings along with it a fair share of "issues."

Ever wonder why we never read about (just for example) an intake manifold, cam, or cylinder head comparison between several different brands like we used to? It's because brand "X" spends big bucks with the magazine advertising their latest and greatest gizmos, and even if brand "Y" or brand "Z" offer a superior product, the fact that brand "Y" and brand "Z" don't advertise with the magazines (or if they do, it's not on the level of brand "X") means the magazines aren't about to let the cat out of the bag that brand "X" might not be the best out there, lest brand "X" get a knot in their shorts, take their football and go home, taking along with them their advertising dollars. And since the filthy green stuff is what makes the world go `round...well, you can figure out the rest. The "tech" is primarily geared as a printed "info-mercial" for the readers, and the car features are more or less there for filler now. Most of the event coverages are also geared towards bringing in revenue and little else.

That's it, in a nutshell.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 AM

yes, your right on the money,magazines hotrod,carcraft,they are the two worse,the best one still is rod and custom
Old 12-08-2007, 03:37 AM

I agree with SC69SAM. Why not start another publication that actually talks about MuscleCars. There are enough awsome people and awsome cars to make the sales go up at some of the reunion shows or Vettefest. Give the public a taste of what they will see and then get them to come and check it out in the real. A picture is worth a thousand words, but an adventure is worth that much more. I know just from seeing the pics. of the race cars and the factory race cars, I want to come out to see the shows! Too much of today relies on the coin, as VintageMusclecar stated. If the younger crowd, such as myself, (ehem), doesn't get interested in the muscle, what is going to happen? Oh, the horror of reading about store bought turbos and wing kits and such when I'm 40-50 yrs of age and have to go to a museum to see "real" awsome rides. I might have to start laminating my 15+/- yrs of magazines so that they last another 30-40 yrs.

Magazine Title: The Supercar Resgistry
Features: People of the SYC.
Members rides, technical info, resto. tech.
Just to give a few ideas.
You get the picture!

Jed 69,70,71 Nova's 1955 Bel Air and a 69 Camaro.