Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Motion Replacement Engines

I would say that using a CE block was the standard if it was a transplant...although there may have been exceptions. There is one instance where a 396 Nova Engine(that had work done at Motion) had MOTION PERF or something similar stamped on the back side of the block where the bellhousing mounts (if I recall correctly). I don't think there was a standard formal protocal, just use what was ever available.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 PM

Thanked 4,753 Times in 2,180 Posts

Welcome aboard Paul!

You'd think more a variety of stampings would've rolled out the doors on shop built cars and engines sold loose probably more uniform being built on CE's or whatever was supplied through GM parts?
I remember the thread w/ the Nova and Motion Perf stamping on the engine bellhousing surface too, whatever happened to that car?

Pics of the Nos parts sounds great and I'd especially love to see some good images of the Lemans gas fillers Motion offered including base and flipper/clip details as I have a few Nos Enots brand flipper style w/ threaded inside base and always wondered if they're the same?
The ones I have were stock equipment on my 72/73 SkiDoo factory racing snowmobiles and supposedly the same as supplied w/ some Aston Martins, they look exactly like this one on eBoy...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enots-Aston-2-5-...ies&vxp=mtr

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 AM

To be honest, I have not looked at the box of Motion parts for many years. I remember the Lemans cap to be shiny, not dull. There was an old fan made of green and white fiberglass I bought way back when from Motion. I bought a traction bar too, but never put it on because it was white and I never got around to painting it a different color. All of these items came from Motion over a period of a few years, more or less as funds became available. I figured if I bought the pieces one at a time then the crunch of the cost would not hurt so much! I really do not remember all of the items I bought, it was too many years ago. One of the biggest expenses back then were the chrome hooker header side pipes. They are still wrapped in the original boxes packed away in my attic. I saved a long time for those. And the very last item I remember purchasing was the set of Ansen aluminum slotted wheels. I bought 2 15 x 8.5 and 2 15 x 10. Again, packed away for future use, who knows when now. I sold the 74 corvette in 1980 without adding any of the Motion items. I bought an L-88 short block from the local GM dealer for about $1000. I took the car to a Pittsburgh based Corvette shop and they put the L-88 in and added aluminum heads and some strange Offy 2x4 intake system that required a high rise hood. I never got the Motion car, but always wished I had.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 PM

I had the Nova with MOTION PER stamped on the block. It was stamped where the bell housing bolts up. It also had numbers stamped on the heads. The engine was matching number to the car and it was a fathom blue 375/396 4sp. Not sure where the car is now.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanked 3,871 Times in 1,030 Posts

Easy to upload pics. Click on the 5th box from the left above where you are typing and upload pics. Then click on &quot;do it&quot; over on the right.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Thanks, I will give it a try

Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Motion usually started their big block builds with GM crate engines. I believe the last year for the 512 block was 1971 and it was used in both high performance 427's and 454'. I believe that all 72 and later 427 and 454 engines used the same #289 thick wall block which was also used in some 1 ton trucks and high performance cars in that year. Basically both blocks are thick wall,high nickle content blocks,and are the ones most often regarded as being able to be bored 1/8&quot; over with no block filler.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM

&quot;Basically both blocks are thick wall,high nickle content blocks,and are the ones most often regarded as being able to be bored 1/8 over with no block filler.&quot; Do you think Motion stoped there,in that particular place.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM

I still have the NOS 4 bolt block casting 512 that I bought back in 1972 for my never to be Motion project. I purchased it from Yenko Chevrolet here in Pittsburgh. Back then, with my Corvette Club discount, it only cost #389.00. It is still wrapped in plastic, oiled and protected. There is no stamping on the pad. I wasn't sure if Motion used 512 blocks in 1972, that is why I entered my original question here months ago. I could never find any definite information back then either, so I bought the block hoping it was correct. It sits in storage next to the 074 aluminum heads, Edelbrock torker intake, and a stash of other stuff you could get back in the days for not much cash. Although much older now, I would still LOVE to get that fantasy car built and driveable, just cannot find the time. Sorry I drifted off the thread....
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanked 1,243 Times in 348 Posts

Rich - FYI - We never alloyed with nickle at Tonawanda. The base cylinder iron was the same for all blocks - BB &amp; SB. On special blocks we alloyed ferro-chrome for wear and sometimes copper for strength, but never nickle.