Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,418 Times in 764 Posts
Default Re: 72 T/A progess

Passenger side before and after:

Old 12-17-2006, 04:30 AM

And here is the rear bulkhead area above the rear differential. It had a lot of darkened, rusty areas that cleaned up rather nicely in about an hour. It was a mess to do this area, though. I had to place a kiddy pool under the bucket to catch all the dripping fluid so it wouldn't go to waste (at $25 a gallon it's pretty valuable).

Old 12-17-2006, 06:22 AM

How are you going to treat those areas now? Do you try to reproduce the red oxide primer with overspray?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 AM

The rust removal stuff when dry, gives you some degree of protection for a couple months. That will give me a little time to do some careful touch up on the various spots. Since the center of the trunk floor needs to be replaced we will end up fogging in the areas behind the rear valance. The gas tank braces were the most scaly parts of the car anyway and they will need to be refinished along with the trunk floor.

By the way, here is how the rear bulkhead area looked before the rust dissolver stuff was used:

Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rust removal stuff when dry, gives you some degree of protection for a couple months. That will give me a little time to do some careful touch up on the various spots. Since the center of the trunk floor needs to be replaced we will end up fogging in the areas behind the rear valance. The gas tank braces were the most scaly parts of the car anyway and they will need to be refinished along with the trunk floor.

By the way, here is how the rear bulkhead area looked before the rust dissolver stuff was used:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is off the subject but...I have spent untold hours under a multitude of 2nd Gen Camaros and after seeing the floor and those perfect rear frame rails on your car, I have to say that although I don't know what you paid for the car, I have to say you got a good deal regardless of price. You could look at 1000 cars and maybe not find 1 with rails that nice (I feel like I have crawled under that many sometimes!) I love seeing all the pics you post and since I have seen the underside I am really looking forward to seeing it finished.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
This is off the subject but...I have spent untold hours under a multitude of 2nd Gen Camaros and after seeing the floor and those perfect rear frame rails on your car, I have to say that although I don't know what you paid for the car, I have to say you got a good deal regardless of price. You could look at 1000 cars and maybe not find 1 with rails that nice (I feel like I have crawled under that many sometimes!) I love seeing all the pics you post and since I have seen the underside I am really looking forward to seeing it finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more amazed than you! The car has 114,000 miles on it and spent 99% of it's life on the West Coast. I bought it from a guy in PA who brought it back from Washington State. It was sold new at Reliable Pontiac in Roseville, California (They're still in business!) I think I paid about $18,000 for the car back in 2004, saw it listed it on ebay and I immediately ran to the guy's house in PA and bought it on the spot. Top dollar at the time, but now you can't even get a rusted hulk for that. (check these links out and you'll see what $18k gets you now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-F...1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

It sounds kinda wierd but I spent a lot of time on the creeper this weekend just looking up at the underside of the car.

BTW, here is what that derusting stuff can do for hard metal pieces: here is the jack base from the car:

Topside before:

Topside after 2 days of soaking:

Bottom before:

Bottom after:

Old 12-18-2006, 12:32 AM

All I can say is SWEET!!!

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic
Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 AM

Steve, are you going to keep the faded finish?

Neat how this product wroks...
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve, are you going to keep the faded finish?

Neat how this product works...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean the underside finish, it isn't faded, that's all the original assembly line white paint overspray on the red oxide e-coat primer. I will probably try to match the finish somehow on the under trunk area as we have to replace the bottom of the trunk floor and may end up painting the underside panel up to the upper rear dif area bulkhead. I guess we'll have to prime it and then fog in some white overspray to match.