Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,753 Times in 510 Posts
Default Re: Yenko brand reborn?

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen a car built by a dead guy, yet worthy of me willing to purchase. They are only real,and original once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said....
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 AM

Carroll isn't dead, yet. Do you even think that the new Shelbys have the street credit of the originals?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 AM

I think the new 725 HP Shelby Supersnakes and several other Mustangs converted at the Shelby factory have plenty of street cred. I own a 65 GT 350, a 67 GT 500, a 69 GT 500 and two Supersnakes. The new ones are every bit as signficant as the old ones and a whole lot faster too.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM

A lot of the argument I am hearing in regards to new Yenkos is the fact Don Yenko is dead, thus there cannot be another Yenko, while there can be more Motion cars and Shelbys, as Josen Rosen and Carrol Shelby are alive and kicking, and even though they are not "hands on" involved in their projects, they have endorsed the projects, and most likely were involved in the design as well.

My question is this, if Don's daughter(s), who actually worked at the dealership and were the heirs to Yenko Sportscars, INC, were to become involved in a Yenko project similar to what Joel and Carrol are doing, would it then be a Yenko?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM

Some would argue that not if their name changed after marriage. Is the Yenko name still around or has it been "married off"? Any sons? I really don't think the daughters had an open line of communication with Vince Piggins like their father did so that takes a lot of mystique away from the idea of a "Little Susie Yenko Camaro".
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Hum..so if married, daughters cannot continue the family business/traditionlegacy, but sons can? I bet Valerie (Harrell) Vanderwoude and Connie (Gibb) ?, among other daughters of famous people will love to hear that.

Until just recently, when they sold their interest in Yenko Honda, the daughters had been very involved in the business side of things, taking over for Don following his untimely death in 1987.

And though I have yet to meet Terri, I do know that Lynn shares her dad's passion for cars.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,465 Times in 1,388 Posts

For the people who don't want a new Yenko, it's simple don't buy one. The Yenko family is behind the project that Tom and his group are doing. That is validation enough for me.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 AM

Shelby is still reasonably hands on with his cars. When in town he takes them home and drives them and tells his guys what he wants done when he brings them back. The mods on these new cars are for the most part dreamed up by him. In fact he is the one that mandates the HP levels and he helped think up the new Shelby/Prudomme drag car. Shelby isn't finsihed yet he has instructed his guys to build some mind blowing stuff that is being developed right now.

I don't know how much time he spent turning wrenches back in the day as opposed to brainstorming and marketing? Maybe Colin call shed some light on this? Colin's new Shelby book is out and it's thoroughness is a stunner. Never been another Shelby book like this one.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:15 AM

And yes I think the surviving Yenko family involvement in a new Yenko is huge because it gives a stamp of approval and sets a standard that no one else on earth can give. When Don's daughter a former employee says my dad would have loved this new car or this is what he would have built how do you top that? In other words if a tribute car is built with the input of the family that is a special, very personal tribute IMHO.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 PM

If you are not interested in such a car, simply do not own one. It was that way in the glory days as well. The numbers of Yenko cars sold was certainly not staggering by today's standard. Nowhere have I seen that it states Don Yenko is involved, it has always been a tribute. I don't think you discount the family's input here. The market will set the number built, and I imagine it will be very low. I would love to have seen some of you tell Donna Mae that she was ONLY a girl..BKH