Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: NBC REPORT.....US AUTO INDUSTRY AT A CROSSROA

[ QUOTE ]
Ever shop at Walmart? 95% of there stuff is from China...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Sam, and I'll bet that someday soon, that 100% of all the items at Walmart will be China or whatever country imports. I am getting real tired of picking something up at Walmart or any other store, and not seeing "MADE IN THE USA".
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

BTW It was H Ross Pirot who coined the phrase "that giant sucking sound..." about American automakers building plants in Mexico for cheap Mexican labor.
There are many Chevy trucks proudly made in Mexico.
The new giant sucking sound is the USA accepting more and more illegal Mexican and Central American workers who are more than happy to do the menial labor that we are above doing ourselves.
More Mexicans came here than jobs that were lost to Mexico, not to mention the quality control nightmires that some manufacturers had.
Think about that the next time you have a salad or sleep on clean sheets in a hotel.
People all over the world are trying to get onto this country. Even if it is being run by crooked politicians.
(Asses and Elephants)
Point is there is no solution to this problem.
There are no simple solutions for anything that involves global economics, and all car companies are global.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 01-27-2006, 05:35 PM

If you have an American Standard toilet lift the tank lid and see what it says....Made in Brazil or Made in Mexico..That tells the story right there...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Actually Andy there is a solution but its takes people with guts and determination to change things, Americans have become fat and lazy (Just a loose term) and dont follow up or really care what the sneaky money grubbing politicians are doing...Funny, I see more interest and action from the Bikers than most others. Just look at the first few pages of Easy Rider or Biker Mag and they always list the politicians and laws that effect our way of life and stand up and fight them. Basic society could care less and to prove it all you have to ask a few simple questions, How many of you belong to a tax association? have ever read the constitution and bill of rights for your state? or this country? When was the last time anyone here read the monthly publications of new idiotic laws trying to get passed by seedy politicians. If we were in the mid 1700's there would be another Tea Party. Our own Country has us scared to death to stand up for our selves by fear of arrest or worse tax audits. I know im getting off track a little here but in general everything goes back to the politicians. A couple good movies make pretty good points, Tucker and A distinguised Gentlemen....
Old 01-27-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever shop at Walmart? 95% of there stuff is from China...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Sam, and I'll bet that someday soon, that 100% of all the items at Walmart will be China or whatever country imports. I am getting real tired of picking something up at Walmart or any other store, and not seeing "MADE IN THE USA".

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend and we were talking the other day, he is a partner in a company that manufactures toilets, it cost them 48.00 bucks to make them here and they were just making enough to survive so they went to China and opened a factory. It now costs them 12.00 bucks and they are making loads of cash. They still sell them retail for 200.00. Its all about making the shareholders happy and maximizing profits..Were do you stand on this? making your American workers happy and driving a Yugo or hiring cheap China labor and having a stable of ZL-1's and Hemi's...?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: NBC REPORT.....US AUTO INDUSTRY AT A CROSSROADS

[ QUOTE ]
Ray Charles could have seen this one coming,why do you think they were snapping pics of everything in sight?

The big three thought denial was a river in Egypt,sat on their hands,and had their pockets pickeds slowly since the Reagan Administration.Pretty pathetic actually.

The good thing is with the Camry entering Nextel cup in 07 it will backfire due to jingoistic pride and all will be right in the kingdom

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. that hurts my brain. What does this mean?:

" ...it will backfire due to jingoistic pride and all will be right in the kingdom... "

Old 01-27-2006, 08:26 PM

Basically that France Jr allowing Toyota to enter cars in the most sacred series in american motorsports could have a potentially damaging effect on Japanese car sales.

If they prove successful(the Tacoma has already won a championship in the NCTS) and best believe they will(because of a virtually unlimited budget thanks to the US pumping billions through car sales to them for years)how will it be recieved at a time when domestic car companies are struggling for survival? It's no fault of the Japanese,they did their homework and built a better product while we were offered world class models like the Pontiac Aztec . This is a very proud country that loves sport.Once the connection is made between Toyota winning races,factories closing,and americans losing jobs you could potentially see a wholesale boycott of Japanese products by the rabid and passionate Nascar fan base and-that is a rather large one.JMHO
Old 01-27-2006, 08:28 PM

The Camry is getting into NASCAR because it's the been the best selling car in America for the past 7 years.
Say what you want about NASCAR, but they do understand marketing, and making money.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...consumers automatically assume a Lexus or Benz is gonna be more reliable or trouble free than a GM,

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not an assumption its a fact, Ive owned a dozen or so Benzes and Lexus and have had ZERO problems, Cant say the same for my domestics..How about my GMC truck that the dealer has had in his shop more than ive had in my driveway...Those who campare quality between Mercedes and Lexus vs Domestic have never owned or driven one, there is no comparison....
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 PM

totally agree Sam.

One of our cars is a little BMW 323is..This is a low end bemmer but it's built like a tank. Been rear ended twice by BIG American cars. A Bonneville and a Caddy..Both times the Bemmer just had scratches and thats not an exaggeration. Didn't even get it fixed the first time the damage was so minor. Both the American cars just sort of blew up on impact and had considerable front end damage.

Had that car now since it was new in '99. 70,000 miles, not 1 single problem. Still tight as day one in every way. Made me such a believer thats all I'll buy anymore.
<font color="#00FF00">1970 Z/28</font>