Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Whats up with Musclecar Enthusiast magazine, g

Me, too, Diego, but I have to agree that it takes more to keep one of these going. That's the quickest I've ever gone through a MCE cover to cover.
1975 Delta Royale convertible-
Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

If you are going to devote the major meat of the MCE to the Pure Stock Drags, why not do a better job, by featuring the cars from the race, background on owners and cars, etc. The same old same old starting line pic's we have all seen before really don't do the event justice. And if you were not there, give me a reason to even care. Line after line of match-up's doesn't get it done at all. I cannot still get over one feature car! If I didn't subscribe, I would have NEVER bought this issue. Don't get me wrong, I love the Musclecars mags in general and our restorations and related articles have been featured in many magazines and we do appreciate it. I hope this doesn't signal a glimps of the future. If it does, ouch..BKH
Old 12-08-2007, 05:30 AM

Thanked 5,389 Times in 1,892 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly with Brian...it's way cooler to read about the people that own the cars...and the stories behind them (sort of like our Members Rides here). If you are going to cover an event...then do it right...top to bottom....not the typical "Here's the best paint award car" and "Here's the best engine award car". Devote more than 3 pages...and 40 pictures to an event. I know that you could have 10 pages easily from an event like the Supercar Reunion...some feature cars and the stories behind them...some racing shots and stories about the racers...some car show shots...and some people shots (auction, etc). Just don't do it halfway

That being said...Eric is right about the almighty dollar. When I worked at a major newspaper in SoCal...it was common knowledge that it cost 10 cents more per paper to make them than they sold for...so a 50 cent paper cost 60 cents to make! (Ink, paper, labor, electricity, transportation costs, etc.).

What made the newspaper the money was all of the advertising...and they bowed mightily to the heavy hitters.

On New Years Eve 2002...they had printed 750,000 papers only to have the "legal" department notice an "error" (read "bad press") in a news story that dealt with one of the major advertisers of the papers. Result? They reprinted all 750,000 papers...shredded the other ones...and paid all of the employees working that night (me included) triple time to get the "correct" papers out...

And so it goes...
Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 AM

'Now maybe if UNICEF got in the Muscle car mag Business.....'

I used to be a member of a Club called USCC pre internet and the mags were nice, and we all know how that ends,,,

Hemmings!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:12 AM

The internet is killing car magazines. Look at great sites like this one. Why buy a car magazine when you can get the same info and pictures online? You can talk to other owners who can share their real world experiences working on their cars. You get answers to your questions the same day or week you ask them instead of a month or longer. You can get unbiased brand comparisons. It's the end of an era.

That said, I subscribe to all the Hemmings car magazines and they are excellent.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The internet is killing car magazines. Look at great sites like this one. Why buy a car magazine when you can get the same info and pictures online? You can talk to other owners who can share their real world experiences working on their cars. You get answers to your questions the same day or week you ask them instead of a month or longer. You can get unbiased brand comparisons. It's the end of an era.

That said, I subscribe to all the Hemmings car magazines and they are excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The magazine publishers are trying to make money off the internet by giving away content for free and charging advertisers for our eyeballs. But, to cut costs for their print publications, they are re-gurgitating content from one magazine into several magazines. Hemmings is bucking that trend and has several of the most well written and original publications out there. I subscribe to three, along with HotRod and Sports Car Market. By diluting content, other publishers are driving readers and, consequently, ad dollars away.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Me, too, Diego, but I have to agree that it takes more to keep one of these going. That's the quickest I've ever gone through a MCE cover to cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I *do* agree with you - even I had to flip through the magazine again to see if there was a feature I had missed. But I'd be willing to bet the lack of features was due to the amount of pages given to the race. I do think the editor screwed up in focusing on the match-ups too much without much photos. It would be nice to have them have an extension of the article on-line for those of us who want to see more photos. But if there's a problem with the magazine, I think we ought to give them a few issues and see what direction they are headed.

I also don't understand people's love for Hemmings. I think they have had some glaring errors with many articles.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 AM

With the pure stock race growing year after year I am sure they want to give owners another reason to come to the show, the average guy would love to have his name or car or both in a magazine, even if its not a feature spread, it means a lot to some folks, I think they should take more advantage of so many nice rare multi make cars in one spot, "collectors edition" not so sure what they mean by that, unless they are talking about a birdcage liner? LOL

raiv 69 judge, ra3 70 judge, 71 judge,74 SD trans am,71 cudas, 67 189 Corvette roadster, Quicksilver 68 HURST
z-10 396 camaro, 69 HEMIBEE