Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on this car, real?

"Looks like they are selling in the 60 to 80k range for nom cars?" Since I own a 68 Z/28 I kind of watch the values. I hope your numbers are correct and I am out of touch but I would think a really nice restored 68Z without the original motor would not make it into the $60K price range. I would be very pleased to hear that I am completely wrong and my car is worth much more than I think it is.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:28 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">60 to 80 G's with NOM's??
1968 Z/28's are selling for that much? </div></div>

With a full frame off anyway. It looks to me like the market hit rock bottom and is starting to creep back up. I only fool with a handful of cars every few years so I am sure some guys here have a better handle on current cars and values, which is one of the reasons I posted.

Ill be moving most of my cars out in a few years when the kids hit college anyway..... so this is not any kind of dream car for me or anything, just something that fell in my lap.

I do feel bad for the lady, she is older and since the divorce needs the $$. Of course, I am sure the xhusband is not happy about his car collection being sold off. She does have clear title to the cars, I did check on that. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Maybe I am lumping 67 Z value into 68 Z?

Rich
Old 02-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,967 Posts

Just buy the damn thing :-)

I also have a '68 Z and watch the market pretty closely. I would guess the 60-80k range would apply for a car with the original motor. NOM would be on the low end of that range unless there were a lot of docs with the car.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:59 PM

Ok,

Casey Cajun from here (and Camaros.net) is coming over and we are going to go look at it again. I talked to the lady and she claims that the original transmission is in the car parts trailer (a horse trailer) so I guess I'll go a pickin an see if that is correct. Ill also bring a jack and some jackstands this time and see if I can read the rear end codes.

Anything else you guys can think of?

I'll try to get a pic of the Z28 emblem inside the fender that looks original and see if the hole punch looks factory.

Ill check this thread when I get there, about an hour away.

Rich
Old 02-01-2015, 06:05 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scuncio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy the damn thing :-)

I also have a '68 Z and watch the market pretty closely. I would guess the 60-80k range would apply for a car with the original motor. NOM would be on the low end of that range unless there were a lot of docs with the car. </div></div>

That's the problem..... I was asked to go look at her cars to help her out. She can't afford to hire Jerry to authenticate the car, nor restore any of them and I went out there thinking no way these are real Z's. Then from my limited 68 skills I was kind of shocked when one of them (and the much nicer one at that) started looking like it was.

I wonder if the uncle knows where the original block, POP or Paperwork is. That would really make this a worthwhile.

IF (big IF) I were to scoop it up, I would not want to really take advantage of her. She is really hurting for $$ and I could probably walk up to her with 5k cash and she would take it, I would rather see a fair deal for her. It's why I am trying to see what they are selling for done and what it takes to finish one.

Ill shoot some more pics.

Rich
Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 PM

Price of 9500 doesn't seem out of line.
There were 2 good 68 Z's at mecum Kissimmee . One had a color change and some pin holes in trunk for 57500 and a nice rally green that said it had won best of show at camaro nationals 2 years brought 55000
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM

WOW, I though only 69's brought that kind of money in that condition.
67 Z/28's always brought pretty good money but the 68 cars were tuff (I thought) to sell at 40-50 grand in fairly nice shape.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original fender will have factory punched holes for emblems, 350 emblems different than Z28 emblem holes. Also look in the firewall cowl area for evidence of white paint.

While I have never seen a Z28 with 14&quot; tire sticker, I have seen non Z28s with 15&quot; wheel sticker.........just my hands on experience. </div></div>

Someone here has a Survivor Lemans Blue 68 L78 with HONE OD and 4.88's with the 15&quot; wheel option as documented by the original Window Sticker.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 02-01-2015, 10:30 PM

New Pics from this afternoon

Car:

4 Leaf Springs

Interior

Vin

Booster:

Oil Pressure

Heres what I can see from paint. On the front header panel someone did not finish prepping the car and remove some masking tape from the (rough) paint job. In sanding both where the white stripe should be and where it should not be under the tape it looks like there is white paint where it would be expected and only green to the right.

Rich
Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 PM

Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,967 Posts

Cool. Surprisingly even has the correct tape lines around the trunk emblem.