Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanked 1,410 Times in 678 Posts
Default Re: Day 2 wheel suggestions?

Are there any modern radials that look identical or very close to the old bias plys?
John 10:30
Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Very NICE!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Rose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After getting advise from a few guys here on SYC, I decided to go with Cragars. I wanted cheater slicks for that day 2 look. I went with 14 x 7's on the back, and 15 x 6's up front. The back tires fit up inside the wheelwell with no rubbing. If you go with 8&quot; wheels get the back spacing right as stated above. I also got the tow tabs as suggested.

Here's a shot with the Cragars, and below in my sig picture is a shot with the 15&quot; SS wheels, with G-70-15's (all 4)

</div></div>
Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Coker has some radial that look like bias, but you'd never run them on a muscle car.

Sammy is right, these bias tires were good enough for years. I bet today's reproduction tires are better than they were back then. I'm not sure why there seems to be so much apprehension.

A wheel and tire change can really transform a car attitude. When I see cars running period tires and mag wheels- there is a real transformation in my mind. I find I'm not the only one who responds to those great looking square footprints. I think you'll enjoy the bias tires more than you realize.

Here is one of my favorite Nova's rocking a great upsized tire selection. Somehow these Nova's look great with 14 or 15&quot; wheels.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coker has some radial that look like bias, but you'd never run them on a muscle car.

Sammy is right, these bias tires were good enough for years. I bet today's reproduction tires are better than they were back then. I'm not sure why there seems to be so much apprehension.

A wheel and tire change can really transform a car attitude. When I see cars running period tires and mag wheels- there is a real transformation in my mind. I find I'm not the only one who responds to those great looking square footprints. I think you'll enjoy the bias tires more than you realize.

Here is one of my favorite Nova's rocking a great upsized tire selection. Somehow these Nova's look great with 14 or 15&quot; wheels.

</div></div>

Oh yea, and those are the Hurst wheels. You guys got me thinking about some Firestone Wide Ovals on Cragar SS.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Oh man, this would look killer on my Nova. The 15x7 Cragars I believe are 4.25 back spacing. I think that would fit well, my Nova has the factory 4 piston caliper discs. Man, that would stand the Nova up like old time muscle.

http://www.cokertire.com/media/catalog/p...ne-f60-15wo.png
Old 01-17-2014, 05:19 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRCBOWTIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh yea, and those are the Hurst wheels. You guys got me thinking about some Firestone Wide Ovals on Cragar SS.

</div></div>

That's a great look with the RWL wide ovals. If you want to stand apart from the pack and go with a period-correct theme, make those wide ovals the 3/8&quot; pinstripe whitewall version. Looks good depending on the car. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Be careful putting 15x7&quot; wheels on the front, with 4.25 back spacing. My SS wheels were rubbing on the inner wheel well, but it may be because I have G's on those rims. Those wheel are actually a 2nd set I put together for my 69 El Camino, but I switch them around on 3 different cars.

Bias ply tires are never gonna ride like radials, but they don't belong on muscle cars in my opinion, unless you're driving it a lot. My Nova rides nice with the bias plies up front, and slicks in the back. I think the slicks ride better because they only have 15 lbs of air in them.

I haven't driven the Nova much with the Firestones, because I didn't get the car finished too long before the snow/rain started.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 PM

I too would stay away from radials, I prefer the bias tires - and they ride fine (I'm so busy shifting, I don't even notice them!).

Paul is correct about using a wheel with the right backspacing, and that is the best way to go - you won't regret it. I was not able to stuff an L60-15 in the stock wheel well, but I was 17 - what did I know about back spacing, I was just happy to get a set of 15x8&quot; slots for $40! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 PM

14 or 15X6's on the front and 14 or15X 7's on the back. Or 14 or 15X6's all around. If you want the drag look do 14 or 15X 4.5 Cragars in the front. I would stay around the 26.5&quot;or so height in the front. The 4.5&quot; Cragars do not have much back spacing so you have to watch your tire height for turn radius. 3.75 to 4.0&quot; of back spacing in the rear is good with as wide as H's. L's would need some height I believe. Most slicks in the old days were mounted on 5-6&quot; rims so the foot print would not be over 7 inches.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 PM

That is a good point Bill. I've never considered a 7&quot; wheel on the front of a Nova so that issue was off my radar. A 6&quot; wheel up front is more than adequate for most tire choices.