Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Help With Selling #1 Car at Auction - Mecum Indy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69LM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that I did not have a great experience at Mecum (Dallas). Unless you are an &quot;insider&quot; you will not be able to get into a good slot.

They used a Union service to drive cars across the block, and the 80+ year old guy driving my L78 across could not drive a stick and kept killing the car. I asked if I could just drive it across and was told no. Their fix? PUSH THE CAR ACROSS THE BLOCK!

I got the same advice about the phone number and being around the car. The Mecum authorities came by and made me take the phone number off the car, stating that they did not allow contact information on cars because they have a 'after its over' clause and you might try and sell the car after the auction and try and bypass them.

All in all.... I have much better luck advertising on these sites as well as Ebay, but I don't have high end #1 restorations either. Dallas may have been an exception as well.

Rich </div></div>

Rich -

Good points. If they have a non-stick driving geezer getting behind the wheel of my car, I'll have some serious heartburn.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No such nonsense at Indy. I was encouraged to put a note in the window or on the display with my contact number while at the auction for that minute or two that I was not standing with the car, just in case someone needed to get in touch with me. No &quot;union driver&quot; craziness either. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, Steve. Will be nice if I can unplug periodically and check out the other cars at the auction. If they have my cell # that will make it easier.

Scott
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's amazing 99% of the cars have no one around. Spent 4 days in Kissimmee and the cars I was interested in had no one there. The w30 I was interested in, the guy finally appeared auction morning and he was pretty much clueless or would not discuss what he knew about the car. Pretty much a turn off. </div></div>

Doesn't make much sense to me, unless you're hiding something and/or counting on the buyers having more money than sense.

Scott
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact is that the car actually &quot;sells&quot; during the week it is on display when you are presenting it to prospective buyers, not during the 30 seconds it's on the block.

Most prospective buyers see an absent seller as a big red flag as to the authenticity and/or quailty of a car. If I was looking to buy a particular car at auction and couldn't find anyone there or a seller rep who wouldn't answer questions, I would not place a bid on that car unless it was a car I already knew everything about. </div></div>

Agreed. It would have to be a car I was very familiar with before I parted with serious coin.

I bought a 72 AMX from a guy who had purchased it at an auction. He hadn't planned to bid on it, but when it wasn't getting any attention, he threw out a bid and got it CHEAP. He didn't figure out why until he got it home and brought it to his mechanic. It was a cobbled together mess, full of bondo, and had structural rust in the front and rear subframes. Just a parts car.

Thanks

Scott
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM

Thanked 2,411 Times in 761 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulletpruf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No such nonsense at Indy. I was encouraged to put a note in the window or on the display with my contact number while at the auction for that minute or two that I was not standing with the car, just in case someone needed to get in touch with me. No &quot;union driver&quot; craziness either. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, Steve. Will be nice if I can unplug periodically and check out the other cars at the auction. If they have my cell # that will make it easier.

Scott </div></div>

I would recommend havng someone you know drive it across the block so you are free to be at the podium to negotiate any dropping of the reserve or a better commision rate. When you get there they will immediately ask you &quot;what's your lowest amount you need?&quot;.

Don't fall for that, just respond: &quot;Let's see how high you can get it bid to and then we can talk&quot;.

Otherwise they will run it through very quickly and just try to get it sold for that amount you just gave them.

Put on your &quot;War Face&quot; and stand your ground. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulletpruf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No such nonsense at Indy. I was encouraged to put a note in the window or on the display with my contact number while at the auction for that minute or two that I was not standing with the car, just in case someone needed to get in touch with me. No &quot;union driver&quot; craziness either. </div></div>

Scott </div></div>

I would recommend havng someone you know drive it across the block so you are free to be at the podium to negotiate any dropping of the reserve or a better commision rate. When you get there they will immediately ask you &quot;what's your lowest amount you need?&quot;.

Don't fall for that, just respond: &quot;Let's see how high you can get it bid to and then we can talk&quot;.

Otherwise they will run it through very quickly and just try to get it sold for that amount you just gave them.

Put on your &quot;War Face&quot; and stand your ground. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

Excellent info! Tips like this are extremely helpful!

Scott
Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 AM

If I had the smack Scott, I'd be saving you all this trouble! That's a beautiful car, and I do NOT like green cars.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twertsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had the smack Scott, I'd be saving you all this trouble! That's a beautiful car, and I do NOT like green cars. </div></div>

Thanks, Todd. Please rob a bank or two, or at least buy some lottery tickets. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Scott
Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 AM

PB tickets in hand. And since it's a sure thing, you'll be my first call.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Thanked 1,058 Times in 333 Posts

Take heed to Stevens recommendations. Be with the car as much as possible to answer questions from anyone who may ask. Don't for a minute think that someone who may not <span style="font-style: italic">look</span> like a buyer isn't one!

Prepare some information sheets that outline why your car stands above the others, with plenty of detail and have them available at all times. Don't assume that people know. List your national awards, (cough-cough; MCACN) as they were well earned and respected, not lawn show awards that almost anyone can get.

You have a beautiful car and it will stand out if you take the proper steps to assure it is not lost in the crowd. Be sure it starts right up and runs properly at all times and you have enough high octane fuel. There are a lot of cars there and many that may have more instant eye appeal, but not nearly as many that have the quality of yours.

Best of luck and we'll see you there! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com