Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Gramma's Car: the new project!

The bog' is really gone:-)

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM

As mentioned -- "I have querying all the Jedi Masters about possible solutions and I found it today. Cliff Ruggles mentioned in an email that he had seen this sort of thing happen in aftermarket air cleaners when the lid was too close to the top of the carburetor. All this time I had been thinking it can't be that simple...well it was".

This issue has been around awhile -- some carbs vent tubes are "square" cut ... flat on top and some are angled. If an the air cleaner restricts vent air flow that will raise heck with the carb. Some Holley carb vents are flat and some are angle cut -- I would believe Holley went to angled vents to prevent air cleaner lids from blocking air flow. Just sayin' ... TAZ
Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanked 2,419 Times in 765 Posts

Yesterday, I hung out a my buddy Al's repair shop (where old the old guys and old cars hang out). He was trobleshooting some carb issues on a friend's 1970 Challenger 440 R/T. It bogs under 1500 rpm when accelerating (no it wasn't the aircleaner!). I got to play chase car in Gramma's car. No problem whatsoever, keeping up! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

I think I found a new customer for Eric's carb rebuilding shop. My friend has been through several Carter AVS carbs over the past year or two but also found out that the main cause of the problem was a hidden crack in the intake valley portion of the factory cast iron intake which masked a massive internal vacuum leak. Now that the leak is settled and the engine is rebuilt, he needs the carb(s) set up properly for the engine. So I gave him Eric's contact info.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:08 PM

Thank you Steve. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2015, 08:33 PM

You gotta help him. That 440 was no match for the <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;Little Old Lady from East Westchester&quot;</span>! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Careful what'cha ask for... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Got around to fixing the gas gauge issue today. I ended up ordering a new Spectra GM203 tank, straps, and sending unit. Since no one makes the sending unit for the 1974 and 75 Camaros and Firebirds. I ended up ordering a Spectra FG103C sending unit which is listed for the 1976 and newer cars (not for the 1974 and 75s, which no one makes). I ordered the tank from Advanceautoparts and used a 40% coupon so the tank only ended up costing $100 with free shipping.

You have to specifically know what you are looking for and what your car has. It seems that some of the Camaros and Firebirds used two vent lines on the passenger side and ran the main 3/8 fuel line on the driver's side (Gramma's car). The aftermarket manufacturers don't want to hear that. Most of the major fuel/brake line repro houses sell the unit that has one vent and one fuel line on the passenger side. So I ordered two different sending units and sent the incorrect one back.

It turns out that the Spectra FG103C is nearly identical to the 1975 sender, other than an extra 3&quot; and a 90 degree bend at the end. All I had to do to make it work was cut the last 3&quot; off and flare the line and I was all set to go.

I am glad I ended up ordering all the extras and not just the sending unit. One of the straps was corroded and broke at the bend point when I went to remove it. And the tank has a bad design in that it routes the 3/8&quot; fuel line in the inset area alongside the outer flange, behind the tank. This inset area retains around a 1/2&quot; of crud which corrodes the line after 40 years or so.

The old tank:

The old sending unit compared to the new one installed in the new tank. You can see the final bend in the new one that needed to be trimmed off. The copper line that is soldered in the top of the new tank needed to be connected to the vent line that I trimmed off the old tank. Two inches of 1/4&quot; hose and a couple of clamps worked fine.

I did check the old sending unit once I removed it from the old tank. It would read properly at around 1/4 tank level but once you moved the float up, it would short out and spin the indicator needle off the guage. The new one worked fine - I made sure I tested it in the car before installing it. (once bitten twice shy...) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2015, 09:55 PM

Today was winter prep day. I added Stabil to all the tanks and filled them up. Took the SD455, the WS6, and Gramma's car out for runs on the same route.

I can definitely say that the Gramma motor is stronger than a stock SD455.

I tried the same off-idle take off up a long highway onramp near the house. The SD455 got traction, launched, and chirped second going up the hill, hitting around 75 once it hit third on the highway.

The Grammamobile spun the 275/40x17s well into second, then launched up the hill into third and was doing 95 at the same point that the SD455 was doing 75.

Can't wait to get a real exhaust on this car! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Thanked 3,850 Times in 1,637 Posts

----I have been patiently waiting for the comparison, and I was right about the outcome,,,,for once......Bill S
Old 11-09-2015, 02:12 AM

The SD has 3.08s and the Grammobile has 3.42s. The 3.08 rear gear would be a much better gear for the Gramma car. Those 3.42s are just a bit too steep for a low rpm engine. The power band is 2,000 to 5,000 on this engine. You really notice the pull when it hits the sweet spot. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Maybe Kwhizz can install an overdrive tranny for me. This car really needs an an extra gear.