Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Please Help Me Find My Uncle's COPO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NovaMob03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for you day2 guys that believe it'd be best to restore it back that way, you have to remember that it's originally Fathom Green and raced in that configuration first. I like day2 cars but since Ratical is untubbed, with its original non-narrowed BE &amp; orig interior it makes more sense to go back factory style IMO
I would have probably gone back to factory style if my Rat Patrol COPO hadn't been backhalved...but then, I'd be less inclined to drive it
Doug, did you ever learn which dealer sold it? I really dig the special interior...looks Malcolm Konner-ish
</div></div>

The car, in my opinion, loses all of its history and character being restored back to factory stock. I see COPOs that are fully restored and don't even look. They are boring. If you had both the same car side by side, one Day 2 and the other restored. There would be NO crowd around the restored car. </div></div>

COPO Camaros boring? No history or character? Way to go for telling everybody on here who owns a restored COPO that their cars suck. COPOs are awesome regardless of resto level. Wow, rude. </div></div>
The facts is what the facts are...and guess what the truth is not always pleasant [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] Wow boring and valuable what a combination... Another car loses it's character [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/stupid.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure I understand how the Day 2 lable applies here. Is it a vintage race car or a day 2 car?

For me, a nice day 2 starts with a restored as stock car. You add some speed parts to your street driven car. The way the Ratical One was bought at auction seemed more like a vintage race car, tubbed or not. </div></div>

Paul, I guess the car was more a vintage race car with speed parts applied that were all correct for that era.. The car was NOT tubbed. It had a roll bar in it at one time.. I called it &quot;Day 2&quot; but I guess that definition varies.... It is what is was, just a darn cool old race car!! Like I said, a time capsule that sat for years.... Wish I had the $$$$ to buy it I would have...

Rich
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C O P O CARTEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can I help......I was at the auction and put it on the rollback going to Columbus. The car is in Arizona with the restoration almost complete </div></div>

Is it fair to ask if this car being restored to stock or to race condition?

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate
1969 Schwinn Pea Picker
1968 Schwinn 5-Speed
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe
1972 Schwinn 10-Speed Continental
1973 Schwinn 5-Speed Suburban
All Original Paint Bikes
Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 AM

I hear you Rich. Day 2 is one of those labels that has not found a firm, agreed upon definition. One reason is probably because it was not a lable Magazine people created and thrust upon us like Pro Street or G-Machines.

Day 2 has evolved in a different way. It will never really catch on to the mainstreem because its rooted in NLA speed parts and such. Day 2 will always be a small niche, one I find to be rather exciting.

I honestly don't have any real preference for a Day 2 car over a Vintage Race Car. They all should stand on their own. The lines get blurred becuase the Day 2 lable is ocer used 9or under defined). I'm probably one of the biggest offenders.

I would have to see more pics of the Ratical One, and even then I don't know if I could choose a specific favorite config. The FG pic with Cragars is pretty cool, but the lettering is neat too. As I said, the resto to factory is always a safe place to start over from, just like when new.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:14 AM

Kurt, my understanding is the new owner in Arizona is restoring the car to original (stock) condition..

Rich
Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 AM

Rich, thanks for the reply.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions but if that's the case, it's a shame 'cause the value of the car would be no greater if not less than if it was left alone. IMO

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't have the original engine or trans?

If so, now it's just another COPO, taking nothing away from that status, but it had great race history which is difficult to earn.

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate
1969 Schwinn Pea Picker
1968 Schwinn 5-Speed
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe
1972 Schwinn 10-Speed Continental
1973 Schwinn 5-Speed Suburban
All Original Paint Bikes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 AM

This car runs the gambit of desire. Complete ownership history, bought as a performance car, raced as it was intended, low miles, etc. I've heard just as Rich has, that it is being restored to original. I personally would have restored it to &quot;day-two&quot;, but the car has seen several levels of &quot;day-two&quot;, so it is up to the current owner's discretion.

If the car sees the public eye in the future, I hope it reflects the actual history of the car, not just the way it looked leaving the dealer's lot, which probably lasted only a few days.

A great car with a great history.

Phil Woj
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM

I found what I was looking for and talked to the people that have the car and the speed parts, thank you everyone for the info., now it's time for me to move on in life and get over this. My car and I say it's my car is nothing but pictures. Being a COPO ment nothing to me. Don't take that the wrong way. Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The car, in my opinion, loses all of its history and character being restored back to factory stock. I see COPOs that are fully restored and don't even look. They are boring. If you had both the same car side by side, one Day 2 and the other restored. There would be NO crowd around the restored car. </div></div>

Yep, another boring stock copo with dog dish hubcaps.See one see them all. Major mistake messing with this one.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM

I would have left it alone instead of one of one now it is one of many...