Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS396 57k Actual Miles!

That is a great looking truck and I would look good driving it (for an old fat bald guy).

Thing is, in my opinion, I wouldn't be too quick to discount remarks made, be they complimentary or otherwise. There is a certain amount of bullshit to wade through concerning all remarks, but, they do give a potential purchaser something to consider and ask questions about. Any seller, absolutely has the right to ask any price they see fit, however, any potential purchaser has the same right to ask/offer any concerns. If the seller is given an opportunity to post publicly, shouldn't any potential purchaser be afforded the same?

I believe there are certain folks that always have something negative to offer, but, they ARE members here and as the caveat emptor thingy applies to potential buyers, potential buyers should consider not only any negative/positive remarks made ,but, also the person who made them.

In my opinion, it would be counter productive to limit the 'For Sale' ads to read only.

Regards,

Mark
All numbers match...something
New carpet and headliner
New AC system, blows cold in the winter
It ain't for sale so, don't ask
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Thing is, in my opinion, I wouldn't be too quick to discount remarks made, be they complimentary or otherwise. There is a certain amount of bullshit to wade through concerning all remarks, but, they do give a potential purchaser something to consider and ask questions about. Any seller, absolutely has the right to ask any price they see fit, however, any potential purchaser has the same right to ask/offer any concerns. If the seller is given an opportunity to post publicly, shouldn't any potential purchaser be afforded the same?

I believe there are certain folks that always have something negative to offer, but, they ARE members here and as the caveat emptor thingy applies to potential buyers, potential buyers should consider not only any negative/positive remarks made ,but, also the person who made them.

In my opinion, it would be counter productive to limit the 'For Sale' ads to read only.

Regards,

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Mark........Like it or not, the members here are some of the most knowledgeable around and if the ads were changed to a read only forum....then the check and balance of that knowledge base would be lost.....sure...you can say if you don't like it, don't buy it....but, a by-product of the read only ads would be that sooner or later "Creative" descriptions would appear.....Now what do you do, is someone going to have to thru and "Screen" all the ads and determine which ones are allowed.......See where this is going?...........Checks and Balances....................Maybe "Scrutiny" isn't such a bad idea after all...........Sorry if I "Offend" anyone with my opinion...........

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM

While this situation may be a little different I'd like to share my take; like others have said, we can all say "If you're not interested in buying the car then keep your comments to yourself". However, in some cases, those comments may actually help the seller.
Example; I went to look at a 1970 454 Corvette a few years ago; car looked real nice but was a slug. Therefore I was no longer interested in the car; should I have just left it at that and not told the seller why I was not interested? Same goes with the recent situation where I went to go look at a Camaro SS that I had previously owned. The car had some issues that turned me off; again no longer interested.

In both cases I politely told the seller my reasons for losing interest in the car. The owner of the Corvette did some digging and found that his vacuum advance / timing was off. Once he fixed those items it really woke the car up; he sent me an email thanking me for my honesty.
The owner of my old Camaro agreed with some of my concerns with the car and wound up lowering his asking price.

So I think negative responses can be just as productive; in some cases more productive, than all of the positive comments. This is as long as the negative comments are delivered with respect and with good intentions.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I think negative responses can be just as productive; in some cases more productive, than all of the positive comments. This is as long as the negative comments are delivered with respect and with good intentions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just re read the whole thread and confirmed that there wasn't a single disparaging remark made on this truck- in fact every single post was complimentary. The only thing questioned was price- because quite frankly it's tens of thousands higher than i've ever seen a L34 sell for even as exemplary as this one. The thing that concerned me was what I perceived to be somewhat of an immediate overzealous response by not one but two moderators. I think they were offended by comments while the seller wasn't,and threatening to make it read only seems a little over the top but hey they volunteer their time here and can respect that.

Point is, when you adopt a shut up and move along attitude it sours some. This thread never had the tenor of going south, the pre emptive admonishment seemed excessive that's all. Rules are rules, but constructive criticism can be healthy when done respectfully. Noone was throwing rocks at his truck, he seems to have pretty thick skin and responded to all with class.