Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,276 Posts
Default Re: Wall of Shame

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rixls6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found this on the net.
Somebody felt it was a good temporary replacement control arm. Yikes!

</div></div>

Ha! I just did that a couple weeks ago -

Temporarily, of course, while I was boxing the original control arm.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 03-30-2016, 01:08 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get taken too often, but I bought this '63 300hp 327 from an infamous collector/restorer. HE said it was outside for one winter but covered up and should be fine inside. All the head bolts were finger tight and this is what I found when I took it apart. #7 piston and rod were missing. I still haven't gotten the pistons to move, and it's been soaking for months with a lot of banging.
Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

</div></div>

Verne, would an old fashioned caustic hot tanking melt the original pistons out of the bores?</div></div>

If all you want to save is the block -- use a &quot;blue flame&quot; wrench and very carefully (stay clear of walls) cut through the top of piston ... trim excess to relieve pressure. You should be able to knock the rest out. TAZ
Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM

Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM

[/quote]

If all you want to save is the block -- use a &quot;blue flame&quot; wrench and very carefully (stay clear of walls) cut through the top of piston ... trim excess to relieve pressure. You should be able to knock the rest out. TAZ [/quote]

TAZ,right now the block has been moved to a wood shed (wood floor) so I'd reluctant to use the hot wrench.
Verne
Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get taken too often, but I bought this '63 300hp 327 from an infamous collector/restorer. HE said it was outside for one winter but covered up and should be fine inside. All the head bolts were finger tight and this is what I found when I took it apart. #7 piston and rod were missing. I still haven't gotten the pistons to move, and it's been soaking for months with a lot of banging.
Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

</div></div>

Put down the hammer. LYE.....

Same thing as used in old time hot tanks. Lye eats aluminum but never even bothers cast iron. A 55 gallon blue barrel with the top cut off, then fill with Chevy small block, water and lye that you can buy from Amazon or your local big box hardware store. Amazon is cheaper though, and has it in bulk. You can leave the block in that barrel for a month or more outside and let the sun light heat up the barrel to make the lye work faster.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 03-30-2016, 05:34 PM

Thanks John,
I might try the lye trick but in a modified form.

This isn't brain science.

Verne
Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks John,
I might try the lye trick but in a modified form.

This isn't brain science.

Verne</div></div>

But it sure is a pain in the south end!@#$ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Thanked 2,432 Times in 768 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know Steve. I've even thought about our old friend Evap-o-rust. I had planned to take it to a local engine builder but he doesn't have the caustic tank. I'd really love to save the block.

Verne </div></div>

Try Rogers Speed Shop in Garwood NJ. That's the old fashioned machine shop that does all my work. I think they have access to an old style hot tank. Also, try the Bontempo Brothers Speed Shop in Linden, NJ - they dipped the rear axle housing for my Trans Am several years ago.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the leads Steve. I'm familiar with the Bontempos.

Verne
Old 04-04-2016, 07:09 PM

My '55 Chevy came to me largely untouched since the 1970s, right down to the 14&quot; slots and Torque Twister meats. The seats were early Camaro mounted on 2x4s! A little too &quot;old school.&quot; A hard-core old rod/custom buddy said don't you dare change that so the wood stayed. (I had everything from the flywheel aft updated to new parts so the Super Shifter III was my addition.)