Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: big turn of events, gents...

If you don't mind, I'd like to know how you became aware of, and who is the "Show judge". As in, does he openly advertise in the major publications, or is he someone that was recomended to you? I went through pretty much the same thing when I was looking for my L78 Chevelle. I was AMAZED at the BS and flat out liars that are selling cars.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 AM

This car has been on the local Craiglist for many months.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 AM

I'd like to keep the names out of this. But if anyone is actually hiring an appraiser in the St Paul area, send me a PM and I'll let you know if it's the same guy . My guess is he just was'nt really much of a Nova guy and even made the comment that "it's unusual to see people invest much in these things". When he saw one with what he estimated to be 70K invested he made caved mentally, made assumptions, snapped a few far away shots and moved on. Nice guy but I found myself leading him down the path...from the initial conclusion of screaming deal to "good idea to back out". I was surprised when he didn't offer to refund my money. He can live with that one and frankly I didn't feel it was worth fighting over so I didn't even ask.

And yea, I was stalking that craigslist ad for months. Not a waste of time at all in the big picture and I'm not pissed in the least. What better way to begin a journey toward finding the right "investment grade" 70 L78? I'd still like to own it as a driver but it's not worth much over 25 grand in this economy regardless of how shiny it might be.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 AM

There is a 396 70 Chevelle on there if your up for a journey for 20-25k
Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Oh, Ok then.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a 396 70 Chevelle on there if your up for a journey for 20-25k

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the ad on the chevelle?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 AM

Hence my question if the car had ever been raced
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hence my question if the car had ever been raced

[/ QUOTE ]

Coincidence is so over-rated.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Now that it's public record with a new ad: This should answer questions as to whom the inspector/appraiser was. MY appraisal was more than 10K higher than the one in the listing and the reason it was lowered was due to my research, not by the appraisal service (the gentleman referenced int he ad). He's now selling as a clone which is sadly is worth less than 30K in this economy no matter what you say. Seems odd he's still baffled by the tranny. Poorly re-stamped and not code correct for an L78. And I was never offered my appraisal fee back by Classic. Next time I'll buy a plane ticket and a hotel instead of relying on an on site "expert". FYI, I brought to the sellers attention the ebay ad that had a roll cage and a 427 in it and spoke with a prior owner who says this guy clearly knew it formerly had the cage and 427 because he called and asked about it himself. Not trying to be an @ss but both the seller AND appraiser sent me down a path that cou0ld have cost me over ten grand in equity and shipping fees. I'm beginning to understand those who escape the drama and focus on well done cars that speak for themselves with regard to condition alone with no concern over spids, build sheets, protectos, BOS's and BS-ers.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/44724.html

Text in the ad on Carsonline mysteriously reads as follows:

Chevy Nova SS L78 (Clone) . True SS Nova, L78 clone. After owning and attempting to sell this car for several months it has come to my attention that it could possibly be a re-stamped (pad only) block. Block pad shows: T0318 CTY 10W309435 (last 6 of the VIN). I have pictures of the pad to e-mail if interested. It has a correct block for a 1970 L78, SS Nova, with a 4-bolt main and correct date code (B 20 70). It has the correct heads, intake, carb, dist., vacuum adv., water pump (OER) and both ex. manifolds. I have been told, but still not 100% convinced, that it has the wrong trans. The tag shows CF (402), but I have been told it should show CW (402, 375hp).The rest of the tag is correct: 449 (built March 24, 1970), 70 (1970). The rear end is a 12 bolt 3:31 posi, with a correct housing code but built about the same time the car was built (CBS 04 15). Whether a true L78 or a clone it would be impossible to duplicate this vehicle for the asking price. It is still a fully restored, frame off restoration, with a 375hp, 4-bolt main block, heads, intake, carb, dist and ex. manifolds. It is new from the front bumper to the rear bumper. New radiator, hoses, clamps, fender wells, wheels, tires, brakes, fuel and brake lines,Delco battery (w/correct date codes), wiring (under hood and dash), cap, rotor, plug wires (w/correct date codes), front suspension, spindles, bearings, bushings, fuel tank, straps,dual ex., complete interior, correct dash bezel with correct L78 tack plus more. New paint and vinyl top. All above parts are original reproduction. Classic Car Appraisal Service from St. Louis Park, MN. examined my car thourghly, drove it and gave it an apprisal of $35,000.00. Not as a SS L78 but as a Nova SS L34 with a L78, 396/375hp engine. If you should have any interest I would be happy to give you Webster's phone number and you can speak with him about the car. His last words to me before he left was "impeccable restoration". Because I can not confirm this to be a true 1970 L78 SS Nova, I will have to sell it as a clone. This car is an immaculate frame-off restoration and is 100% ride and drive. Whether the next owner drives or trailers this car, I guarantee you will get all the looks and trophy's you will ever need.
Price - $ 34,995

Tell-A-Friend
Notify a friend about this vehicle for sale
Click Here for automatic referral form. Call (651) 357-2067
or (651) 738-4926
Woodbury, Minnesota US
Send Owner an Email