Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanked 5,389 Times in 1,892 Posts
Default Re: Help With Selling #1 Car at Auction - Mecum Indy?

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Scott, I will be at Mecum tomorrow (Wednesday) PM. Selling my 67 Z -28 also on Friday evening. Car number F-242. If you want me to check anything out let me know.

Contact number at show 217-494-7888.

Don Stowers

66 GTO, Tri power, Fact. A/C, 4 speed
65 Corvette, L-76, Conv., Fact. A/C
63 Corvette SWC
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 PM

Good luck to both of you.

You both have great cars [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2014, 05:50 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L72COPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, I will be at Mecum tomorrow (Wednesday) PM. Selling my 67 Z -28 also on Friday evening. Car number F-242. If you want me to check anything out let me know.

Contact number at show 217-494-7888.

Don Stowers </div></div>

Don,

Gorgeous Z!

If you happen to pass by my car today or tomorrow can you give it a quick once over? Everything should be in order but it has been unsupervised for a day or two.

My cell is 919 478 1663.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Fellas -

Bottom line - car went through yesterday; no sale at $79k. Some post-auction interest, but does not appear that it will sell today. If not, plan is to send it to a well-known muscle car dealer in the midwest...

A few comments about the process, lessons learned, etc. -

-When Darrell dropped the car off on Monday, he taped a one page document to the glass with details on parts, restoration, my contact info, etc. This wasn't on the car when I saw it for the first time on Thursday. I'm guessing the Mecum folks took it off because it had my contact info, but I did not verify this.

-When I got there, I put the awards/certificates in the trunk and opened it up (MCACN, GTO Nationals, etc). Would have been better to have a billboard like NJSteve used for his Charger. Saw some folks with these and wished I had the time to do one of my own.

-Thursday was pretty much dead compared to Friday. I spent some time standing by the car and did field a fair number of questions. My phone number was posted on the car on Thursday and Friday, but no phone calls. LOT more traffic and interest on Friday.

-Lots of folks appreciated how the car was done (original color, no Judge wing, no Judge stripes). Several folks, including a few forum members, commented on the level of the restoration, accolades, etc. Car seemed to appeal a lot more to the Pontiac crowd, which I expected. Car was also a known commodity to the Pontiac folks; they knew it from here, the Performance Years board, MCACN, Darrell's shop, and GTOAA Nationals.

-Met some forum members in person, and recognized a lot more names of folks that I didn't get to speak to. Spent a while talking to Don Stowers (67 Z/28 went through after my car), BillinOhio, Stefano Bimbi, John Kryta (Inline Tube), etc. Stefano introduced me to Lynn Yenko, which was pretty cool.

-The car was supposed to go across the block at 5:20 pm on Friday, but it went a bit earlier (45 minutes early?), which was fine. I think this was the right time to go across. Some folks said it didn't stay on the block long enough, auctioneer didn't work it enough, but I was fine with it. It went across when there was &quot;money in the room&quot; and those who were interested had the opportunity to bid on it while it was on the block and purchase it after it went across.

Overall it was a good experience. Kudos to Mecum for a well-organized and orchestrated event.

Appreciate all the tips from members here. It helped out a lot.

Thanks,

Scott