Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - Canada

Old 02-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,178 Times in 676 Posts
Default Re: KPH speedo's

The Delco piece I should have a case of is distributor housings-cheap and unstamped. We supplied them to someone..

All breaker point stuff went away one day, just like that.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 AM

Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,175 Posts

I remember over buying a lot of new GM parts between 1979-86 when driveway restoring a few Chevelles..I usually went back to Long Chevrolet or C&E in Elmhurst and got a full refund or credit and feeling good about it.
Seeing how much those same parts are selling for today..I feel sick.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Re: KPH speedo's and Z&Z

[ QUOTE ]
William...where was Z & Z...? I vaguely remember a place like that in SoCal...it started out in Garden Grove...then moved to the city of Orange...same place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Z&Z existed on Lemon street in Orange, Calif...Originally started by a family named Zinder(maybe it was Zander...anyways), thus Zinder and Zinder, Thus Z&Z. The boys went to a local college who knew this kid they schooled with and got a job there for some income needs, and eventually made a lease agreement to operate the place but still owned by the Zinder family...
In time, that guy made back door deals with the local yards to get the local F-Bodies into his warehouse, sort of a finders fee.
Well , in time, John let's say opperated the place inappropriately, and couldnt keep up with the local city chamber of commerce who were trying to close him down.
He hung on for a while, protected by local laws and eventually got caught up in all the debt accrued due to his opperating philosophies...
Today it is a brake replacement/supplier and the old building still stands as it is protected under an old building law due to it's age!

Quote:William...
"Z&Z was an experience. Heaps of parts everywhere. We were in his office talking about Z11s and he mentions he has one, a BB/4-speed. It was parked about 20 feet away and you absolutely couldn't see it...."

That car existed, and it was a REAL VN 396 car that was a few VIN #'s after mine, a 4-speed car. He would never sell it; don't know who ended up with it!

I used to work there one summer... Man the things he used to have in there!
One day I was climbing around the place, mind you that is EXACTLY how much stuff he used to have, and found a locker in the back.
I opened it and found about 30 Rosewood's in it, most were mint to slightly cracked!!!
He used to have stacks of interiors and one pile had about 5 sets of Deluxe Yellow interiors in it!
Even 2 sets of Orange interiors too!

I tried to buy a 1970 LeMans Blue 396 Camaro and I almost had it but he backed away at the very last moment!!!

There was a Cobra in the paint booth with a FibreGlass Body tool/die to make bodies with as well sitting right behind it in the booth. There was also another Cobra at his house under lock and key, cant remember what engine it had, I was only able to see it once!

Man O Man...alll the stuff he had would have made you cry! Stubbings probably would have bought it all had it been better known at the time...There was enough rare things in there to do many cars, or at least to repair broken items with....
Sad day to see that place go down!!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:02 AM

Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default Re: KPH speedo's and Z&Z

This original KPH speedo topic has really evolved into another.
They are both excellent reading,so can I ask that a Moderator/Administrator seperate the two,and start a new topic begining with Williams reply #189940...Maybe renaming it "Past Parts Vendors and Stories"
You might want to cut & paste vintagegz's reply# 190638 into the KPH Speedo thread,but from then on we should be able to keep these two topics seperate for future reference..
THANK YOU!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 AM

Billy good point ! Yes we too ordered Rally wheel centers and Chevelle exh tips by the dozens, it was more a situation where GM set the price and then forgot to make adjustment for the USD CAD currency changes. In 2002 if you swapped $100K into Canadian dollars and held them until today you would get back almost $140,000. (A tip of the hat to our friends up north!)
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...amt=1&t=5y The reality is that muscle cars and real estate aren't really going up in "value", your dollar is worth less, and it takes more to buy everything. This is why a lot of wealthy investors buy expensive classic cars, precious metals , and real estate, because if they sit on cash it loses value just sitting in a CD. Oh the days of $28 rally wheel center caps, now they are over $100 list at GM ....yikes!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Hello Steve,
I'm the guy who sold you that 200 kph speedo in Pleasanton many years ago. I still have the export car it came out of. Do you still have the speedo? I'm wondering what it would take to get it back?

Thanks,
Len
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 PM

look what I still have in my card file ...

Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanked 5,369 Times in 1,882 Posts

I could walk there in about 5 minutes from our Ca. residence [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]