Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-07-2006, 06:37 PM

Default PayPal

I received a E-Mail that said it was from PayPal. It said some one overseas was trying to access our account. They wanted our credit card information. I called PayPal and they said it was a scam. Do not answer this E-Mail. PayPal will not ask for any credit card information by E-Mail.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: PayPal

That's a scam email. Don't reply and don't go to any of the links in the email. Just delete it or forward it to Paypal so they have a copy of it. You'll also get scam emails like that regarding your Ebay account.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:29 PM

i shut down my paypal account, im not confortable using until they can provide better security. ive considered setting up a bank account at a seperate bank from my own and only funding it when i have purchased something but its a major hassle to do so. im going postal money order on everything now.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up...I've been needing to vent about eBay/PayPal for a while now, and this is as good a time as any I suppose.

That's just one of many reasons why I refuse to deal with PayPal, and I'm getting seriously fed up with eBay as well. To be blunt, their "security" is a joke.

I hardly ever sell anything on eBay anymore because it's become such a giant hassle. I just listed a couple of things ~3 weeks ago, and since then I've gotten at least 1/2 dozen scam emails phishing for my info. It's always the same thing..."forward to spoof@ebay ", but I don't see where that's doing any good. As always, I expect these bogus emails will keep up for the next month or so, then die down again until the next time I list something on eBay, then I'm sure it'll start all over again.

As such, I've decided to make my feedback private (even though it's 100%) as well as my auctions in (what I'm guessing is)a somewhat feeble attempt to protect my privacy as well as the privacy of those who've bid on my auctions and/or purchased from me. Unfortunately, this has apparently resulted in suspicion from several potential bidders. It's a no-win situation!

I've nothing to hide, I'm just trying to protect the privacy of my bidders as well as my own since eBay can't seem to get a handle on it themselves.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And as far as Postal money orders go, I'm about to find out how much protection that offers as someone just stung me for a pretty nice chunk of $$$ courtesy of a USPS money order (not eBay related). I guess we'll see if Ol' Unkie really does go after scammers like they say they do.

*sigh*

I need a vacation.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 PM

One of the things I do when paying with PayPal (Which they discourage) is to "NOT" use my Bank Account for Payment, I have PayPal charge my American Express Card.....this way I have a Double Security Blanket......I could dispute through one or both

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 04-07-2006, 09:53 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Ken, that's what I do, too!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's just one of many reasons why I refuse to deal with PayPal, and I'm getting seriously fed up with eBay as well. To be blunt, their "security" is a joke.

I hardly ever sell anything on eBay anymore because it's become such a giant hassle. I just listed a couple of things ~3 weeks ago, and since then I've gotten at least 1/2 dozen scam emails phishing for my info. It's always the same thing..."forward to spoof@ebay ", but I don't see where that's doing any good. As always, I expect these bogus emails will keep up for the next month or so, then die down again until the next time I list something on eBay, then I'm sure it'll start all over again. quote]

AMEN!.....AMEN! These are only a few of the reasons I quite messing with Ebay and use Paypal only on a very limited basis.

Although some will disagree with me, I've never strayed far from local/regional swap meets and/or dealing with members of this and other respected forums. I like to see first hand what I'am buying and talk to the seller in person. Yes, at times, I'll carry a large wad of American Greenbacks so I can pay Cash. If you're uncomfortable doing that you're in the wrong hobby! Swap meets are also great places to make trusted contacts for future transactions. After all, swap meets have been the 'back bone' of the car hobby from the beginning.

Thats my nickels' worth......enough said.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 PM

I've never had a problem with Paypal or with buying and selling on Ebay. But I got scammed by someone and I used USPS money orders and I'll still never see my money again so they are no safer than Paypal. Sure, everyone gets those bogus Paypal and Ebay emails by scammers phishing for your account, but you just ignore them and you won't have any problems. If someone insists on postal money orders, that's a red flag for me. I won't deal with someone that insists on money orders if they can't give me a real good reason for it. They want money orders because they can run down to the local WaWa and cash them in and you'll never see or hear from them again. Everything is a risk and you just have to gauge it or go by gut reaction. I sold my 68 Camaro with the LT1 to a guy in England off Ebay and everything went smooth.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone insists on postal money orders, that's a red flag for me. I won't deal with someone that insists on money orders if they can't give me a real good reason for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies the problem for me. I don't take credit cards, and personal checks have to be held until they clear. That leaves PMO's as the most viable alternative, and my personal strong preference. If someone's willing to wait for their check to clear, fine...but quite often people want/need their items "yesterday."

And again, up until now I've relied on the "reassurance" that were something to go awry with a PMO that Ol' Unkie will be there to step in. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Damn shame there's so many crooked lowlife scumbags on this twirling orb. But alas, that's another rant for another day.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone insists on postal money orders, that's a red flag for me. I won't deal with someone that insists on money orders if they can't give me a real good reason for it. They want money orders because they can run down to the local WaWa and cash them in and you'll never see or hear from them again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I accept Paypal on most of my auctions, but will insist on a post office money order on higher dollar amounts. The simple reason is due to the fees.

I can't swallow giving PayPal 3% when the amounts get up there. For example, 3% of $500 is $15.... why give up $15 just to receive the money through PayPal? It's a bit excessive.