Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Mecum Auction COPOs everywhere

Seems like quite a few COPO Cars being put on the block. Chevelle/Camaro and a few L78 Camaros as well as a L89 Camaro and a 68 L89 Chevelle!!!! Including this Red LS6
http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...D=CH1006-41844

http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...TION_ID=CH1006
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 220864-70-front-view.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Mecum Auction COPOs everywhere

This baby blue 69 Z-28 was on Ebay not too long ago.

http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...06-41987at.jpg
Old 08-18-2006, 05:48 AM

1 Copo with ed c docs and 1 gm canada. I wonder if anything else, inc the L78 cars have and docs? One of the others says "copo engine" which makes you wonder?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:44 AM

Man, Mecum sure do get the Muscle out to their auctions. Those Pontiac Super Duty cars sure got my attention.

Still a lot of "flipping" going on as some of those machines have changed hands earlier this year. I would sure like to see more people just enjoying them
Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 AM

I want to ask a question without causing no hard feelings. So here it goes. What do all you baby boomers think will happen to the hobbie in 10 years or so. I am 31 and in 10 years I can't see myself buying a 100+k muscle car. I love the hobbie but will the demand still be around. I think that is why there is so much flipping going on. People are starting to unload there investments.

Jason
Old 08-18-2006, 08:34 AM

Good comment Jason. Some of us are waiting on the sideline for the credit line interest going thru the roof and people dumping their cars.
John.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:49 AM

Jason, I am 28 years old and already did own a supercar. I personally believe that it will be more like 20 years before we see a possible "decline" in interest in these cars. I personally do not know a single person (outside of this website) near or even close to my age group that would spend $100K on any old car. I personally wouldn't do it myself. That is why I say I will never own a supercar again (at least in the next 20 years that is! )

I think that the guys my age that like muscle cars would rather have a cool AFFORDABLE Chevelle, Camaro, or Nova. In my experience they are not that interested in #'s, broach marks, whether it has spiral shocks, or the "correct" chalk marks on the firewall. I believe that they are more concerned with a good looking great running American Muscle Car.

Most of you guys forget that most of these cars are "niche" vehicles and are mostly out of reach or just don't appeal to the masses. If they did I guess that there would have been more built. To prove this look at the membership of this website for the purpose of general interest at almost 3800 members as compared to LS1tech.com at almost 71,000!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE these cars. They are definitely an acquired taste. That is why I am here as well as everyone else I assume. The moments that I had in my supercar will never be duplicated or forgotten as long as I have breath in my lungs. If everyone could be so fortunate.....
Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 AM

36 year old self professed car nut here. Most of my friends would not know a 69 Chevelle from a Camaro! While I do love the old muscle and happen to have a restored 74 Jeep CJ5 in the garage I would rather pay 6 figures for an exotic than a muscle car. 20 years sounds about right for the muscle car craze. Sad, how it has been somewhat transformed from a true collector car lovers hobby to being motivated by profits and values. (Just for the record...I am all for everyone doing well and striking gold in their garage!!)

(Very sorry for aiding and abetting the hijacking of this thread!! )

1974 Jeep CJ5 - 304 V8, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 650, MSD Ignition, Patriot Headers
Old 08-21-2006, 03:25 AM

No one really knows what the future will bring and hopefully there will be enough interest with today's youth to keep the supercars and muscle cars running forever.
I do have to admit however after reading the question that was asked on this chevelle steering box posted on ebay I am worried.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-69-70-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 AM

IMHO that the very best cars of their kind will always bring huge dollars. Look at the pre war classics while overall interest has decreased the very best of the breed still commands huge dollars, my guess is that the same will hold true for Musclecars and Corvettes.