Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 11:50 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

Old 03-20-2020, 11:56 PM

Coronavirus in N.Y.: ‘Deluge’ of Cases Begins Hitting Hospitals

Quote:
New York State’s long-feared surge of coronavirus cases has begun, thrusting the medical system toward a crisis point.

In a startlingly quick ascent, officials reported on Friday that the state was closing in on 8,000 positive tests, about half the cases in the country. The number was 10 times higher than what was reported earlier in the week.

In the Bronx, doctors at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center say they have only a few remaining ventilators for patients who need them to breathe. In Brooklyn, doctors at Kings County Hospital Center say they are so low on supplies that they are reusing masks for up to a week, slathering them with hand sanitizer between shifts.

Some of the jump in New York’s cases can be traced to significantly increased testing, which the state began this week. But the escalation, and the response, could offer other states a glimpse of what might be in store if the virus continues to spread. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Friday urged residents to stay indoors and ordered nonessential businesses to keep workers home.

State officials have projected that the number of coronavirus cases in New York will peak in early May. Both the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio have used wartime metaphors and analogies to paint a grim picture of what to expect. Officials have said the state would need to double its available hospital beds to 100,000 and could be short as many as 25,000 ventilators.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...cid=spartandhp
Old 03-21-2020, 12:00 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts

Crush said: "So what should WE do? Where is the balance?"

I am not a health care expert, nor am I an economics expert. I just believe the economists (and one of my best friends is an economist) should be involved in the discussions.

I live in a small town; Guthrie (population 10,000). I office in a larger town, but still relatively small; Edmond (80,000).

Tuesday evening both City Councils met. My economist friend is on the Edmond City Council. His personal belief was that it would be a mistake to forcibly shut down the restaurants. He thought they should just scale back, take extra precautions, serve less patrons. However, there was virtually no support from the community for that position. His words to me: "I am not going to the mat for them, if they aren't going to express that preference." And they didn't. Edmond voted to shut them down, following the Oklahoma City model.
Guthrie voted to leave them open and let the public decide if they want to eat out.
BTW, the Oklahoma City model was to close all restaurants, excpet for take out or drive up service.
Guthrie has no mandatory shut down for retail. But, the local WalMart is closing each evening at 8:30 instead of being open 24 hours.

Completely shutting down factories is also overkill. Sherri and I are living life as usual for the most part OTHER THAN TAKING EXTRA CLEANING PRECAUTIONS, NOT SHAKING HANDS WITH ANYONE, AND KEEPING OUR DISTANCE. However, we monitor our temeratures every morning. If we see a spike, we are staying home. Our 25 year old came to the office to see us today. He is a bartender, and currently laid off. He is also a kidney transplant patient, and therefore more susceptible to infection. We normally hug. Today, he stayed on the other side of the room and got an "air high five". He has been trained (and actually does it) to wash his hands multiple times a day.

We had multiple clients in the office today, and I have four appointments on Monday; all have confirmed they still want to come in. We make no contact. Clients also get the "air high five". When I give them a pen for signing docs, I break open a brand new wrapped pen, squeeze it out the end, so that I never touch it. I wash my hands after every appointment, even though I have not touched a soul. Sherri washes down and sanatizes the conference table (fortunately it is glass) after every appointment.

My son in law is also a kidney transplant patient, only two years removed from surgery (on another note, I am probably the only guy in town whose wife AND daughter are both kidney donors; Sherri to Zack, our 25 year old, and my daughter Jenny, to her husband). We normally get together every two weeks for a family dinner. My son in law will skip this Thursday, just because he is comrpomised. We also have a family dinner rule: if you are sick, don't come. Send us all a text telling us you love us and miss us. That isn't anything new. We ALWAYS encourage them to stay home if sick.

These are just my personal choices. Common sense, and take extra precautions. Sherri and I went to WalMart today. I was actively looking and making certain I did not get close to anyone. We waited 10 feet away for the lady in front of us to finish checking out. We wiped down the handle on the cart before we used it. We wiped down again after leaving the check out area (self check). By far, the most likely way you are going to be infected is from breathing minute particles from someone elses cough, sneeeze, or if you are close enough, just breathing. Yes, you can get it just from touching an infected surface, but most viruses don't live long away from a host.

We also went into a local bank today. I normally don't use the handicap button to open the door, but I did today. I didn't even touch that with my hand. I used my elbow. One teller had on a mask. Our teller had on latex gloves. After transacting our business, we sanatized. BTW, I was in a hurry to get another $1000 paid to each of my grandsons, so we could quickly add $1000 to each of their Roth IRAs. Not a lot, but wanted to get into the market during the bargain days; which we will do Monday. $1000 isn't much, but they are only 7, and we estimate that each $1000 will grow to over $365,000 in 60 years. Off topic, I know.

Someone made the comment that it is time we all work together, instead of arguing. Maybe that would be a great topic for another thread. Covid-19 survival suggestions for those not ready to panic and shut the Country down.

This is likely to have typos galore. I didn't proof it.

Have a great weekend. My shoulder is well enough that I plan to do some work down at the shop and piddle on some of my beater cars.

Last edited by Lynn; 03-22-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 AM

Over 60? Here are the 30 Worst Coronavirus Mistakes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...cid=spartandhp

It's a slide show. Just let the page full load then it the FULL SCREEN button
Old 03-21-2020, 12:15 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabu View Post
I don’t think Lee is fear mongering. Hell, just turn your television on. There’s plenty of that on there. I think Lee is stating facts. Everything that you have stated about the subject, if you read the second or third sentence, you contradict yourself from what you stated in the first sentence.

Pandemic gone in 60 days? Really?? I believe common sense would tell you it’s not going to be over in 60 days. Kudos though for wishful thinking.

If the Chinese have returned to full production after the outbreak why can’t North America? Well, ummm, has the Chinese returned to full production? If we believe what China says, that’s our first mistake, but as to why (if the Chinese have returned to full production as you say) North America will not?? Lack of common sense, that’s why. North America is stalling on total lockdowns across the States and I don’t see the US spraying everything down with bleach as we have seen China do. Actually, all I see is people running around like it’s a normal day, accept for school closings, other closings, oh and the toilet paper shortage. I don’t see a a lot of social distancing going on, but we’ll get there eventually. A little later than most countries, but trust me, we’ll get there after more lives are lost.

Lastly, it appears that you are claiming to state facts that nobody in this whole world seems to know BUT YOU and the fact that you want to argue with people that are clearly stating facts as we know them, as to what we’re being told, is ridiculous. Yes, sincerely much thanks to Lee for doing exactly that.

This world is not getting any better any time soon. It’s time we stand up and work together instead of against each other. I’m afraid that this coronavirus is going to be a huge wake up call to people just like you and others. Unfortunately, a much needed one.

AND one thing that I have learned in my lifetime, “There are those that appear to be much more intelligent when they say nothing at all 70copo!”

Many prayers to you and everyone else during this time. Stay safe!!
Tabu, Please read this. Read it carefully I want you to understand it.

Please pick Anything I have said on this topic in either thread and tell me why in the world I am not aloud to participate in the forum? Is that not what you are saying? Sure Looks like it to me.

Your statement pertaining to me as follows "Lastly, it appears that you are claiming to state facts that nobody in this whole world seems to know BUT YOU and the fact that you want to argue with people that are clearly stating facts as we know them, as to what we’re being told, is ridiculous" could be spoken about and applied to any of the participants who have participated in any way as everyone has an opinion, some more informed than others.

On to specifics: So Tabu:

When and where did I say the Pandemic would be gone? I never said that.

You need not say Lee was Fear mongering either as Lee made that admission all by himself at post 224 in the old thread and already apologized for it so the matter is a material fact.

Now back to your main point. "Pandemic gone in 60 days? Really??" that appears to be your summation of my previous assertion that This thing will "blow over" (those are my specific words) To me means people go back to work, church, and restaurants and life.

That does not mean the virus is gone. Saying it will be gone is silly. Hopefully we will have learned to manage it as a society by then and we can get our economy back as well at that time and most importantly understand the true lethality which will help quell the main driver of the fear and panic we are now experiencing.

What irritates me to no end however is the re posting over and over of material from external sources which serve little purpose to the topic and just expands the already stretched fear envelope and encourages people to debate and often disagree. I believe Steve told people to stop posting that kind of material here in this thread at post #23.

In conclusion I do believe your "dredge up" of parts of my previous participation may actually be an attempt to solicit a reply from me that will be then attempted to be portrayed in other replies by other participants here-as "petty and argumentative" in other words a platform to "stir the pot" and cause additional personal attacks to occur.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

75 million Americans,4 States,ordered to stay home.CNN.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,171 Times in 1,338 Posts

Well my daughter, son- in law are teachers and have been home with the kids for the last week. The whole family is sick, and the girls were horsing around and the middle child bumped her chin and really cut her tongue.
My granddaughter knows I'm a softy, so this morning I stopped a picked up two dozen ice pops and three large yogurt containers, and dropped it off like I was at a drive through window. They opened their front window and handed them the supplies. I'm the hero in their eyes.... like all grand parents��

Everyone is feeling different levels of anxiety. Do what you can to turn that into something useful. Many restaurants are sending food to hospital staff, several beer and moonshine distilleries are converting to producing sanitizing chemicals, give blood. We all need to be compliant with federal and state mandates so we can eradicate this virus in the most effective and efficient way possible.

Just like in forecasting storms there are many models and we won't know which is correct until we look back.

Keep yourself busy, productive and helping others always works for me. Watching the endless # of pundit on TV is somewhat counterproductive. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but let's not beat a dead horse... no one has a crystal ball. But most here own muscle cars, start wrenching, driving them. For me it's a great stress reliever.

Pic 1 youngest upset because no yogurt
Pic 2 Pop to the rescue handing supplies through the window
Pic 3 Life is wonderful and her tongue feels great
Pic 4 Happy to have yogurt

Wish life was that simple.... maybe there's a lesson to be learned
Attached Images

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com

Last edited by Steve Shauger; 03-21-2020 at 03:58 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
70 copo (03-21-2020), bashton (03-21-2020), camarojoe (03-21-2020), MosportGreen66 (03-21-2020), scuncio (03-21-2020), Woj (03-21-2020), Xplantdad (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Now back to your main point. "Pandemic gone in 60 days? Really??" that appears to be your summation of my previous assertion that This thing will "blow over" (those are my specific words) To me means people go back to work, church, and restaurants and life.

That does not mean the virus is gone. Saying it will be gone is silly. Hopefully we will have learned to manage it as a society by then and we can get our economy back as well at that time and most importantly understand the true lethality which will help quell the main driver of the fear and panic we are now experiencing.
Please explain to us to 70 copo how we are supposed to do the things you say we should be able to do: "people go back to work, church, and restaurants and life." without having antivirals or a vaccine? How can we possibly test the entire population of adults in the USA? Because that is the only way to do what you say could come true.

We separate those that test positive (self quarantine) and those that test negative (free to continue their lives). Of course those that test positive now put a massive strain on society. They either get well at home or they wind up in the hospital and the hospitals are a combination of positive and negative tested people. We could start the whole thing all over again.

This is what I really wanted to avoid . . . . . speculation. You really can't argue with proven facts. But it's so easy to get into an argument when the subject is speculation.

I have been posting articles and graphs which I hope are educating people as to the severity of the CV19 pandemic. Of course some of those articles will use sensationalism - I have no control over that. But I feel the members here are savvy enough to separate the facts from the sensationalistic use of words like "lockdown" instead of "self quarantine."

If anyone thinks I am overstepping the bounds set up by Steve, then tell him and HE will PM me and tell me to stop.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Please explain to us to 70 copo how we are supposed to do the things you say we should be able to do: "people go back to work, church, and restaurants and life." without having antivirals or a vaccine? How can we possibly test the entire population of adults in the USA? Because that is the only way to do what you say could come true.

We separate those that test positive (self quarantine) and those that test negative (free to continue their lives). Of course those that test positive now put a massive strain on society. They either get well at home or they wind up in the hospital and the hospitals are a combination of positive and negative tested people. We could start the whole thing all over again.

This is what I really wanted to avoid . . . . . speculation. You really can't argue with proven facts. But it's so easy to get into an argument when the subject is speculation.

I have been posting articles and graphs which I hope are educating people as to the severity of the CV19 pandemic. Of course some of those articles will use sensationalism - I have no control over that. But I feel the members here are savvy enough to separate the facts from the sensationalistic use of words like "lockdown" instead of "self quarantine."

If anyone thinks I am overstepping the bounds set up by Steve, then tell him and HE will PM me and tell me to stop.

Lee,

I do not want to continue this.

In less than 2 months however we will better know how this whole emergency resolves. Let’s agree to disagree and move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 AM

Excellent. Unless Tabu replies we are back to regularly scheduled healthy debate and respectful sharing of opinions
Closed Thread