Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-07-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Modifying Rare Muscle Cars & Value Questions

Hi:

What's your guys take on modifying Rare Muscle Cars(Yenko, AAR, T/A, Shelby, Hemi, Copo Etc)? By modifying I mean modifications to original engine (displacement etc), upgrading suspension components, maybe even making it a 5-6 speed?

Also by how much does a Muscle Cars value go down if it dosen't have the original #'s matching drivetrain?
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 212710-dubs.jpg 212541-chargerfront1.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Modifying Rare Muscle Cars & Value Questions

IMO if it's original that's where your value is. If your looking to modify it to suit your taste and have fun with it,but your still looking to maintain value, don't make any drastic changes and keep the original stock parts available.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,130 Times in 666 Posts

I find this sort of amusing.

Virtually all Musclecars earned their legendary status via guys who modified and raced them. Can you even look at a 1st gen Camaro and not think of Strickler/Jenkins, Penske/Donahue, Fred Gibb, Dick Harrell and many others? Back in the early '70s I looked at a lot of used Z/28s and virtually all of them had bars, headers, aftermarket wheels.
The Dated Hose Clamp set may not like it but Day 2 is how a lot of Musclecars spent most of their life. I would not cut one but anything else goes.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Virtually all Musclecars earned their legendary status via guys who modified and raced them. Can you even look at a 1st gen Camaro and not think of Strickler/Jenkins, Penske/Donahue, Fred Gibb, Dick Harrell and many others? Back in the early '70s I looked at a lot of used Z/28s and virtually all of them had bars, headers, aftermarket wheels.
The Dated Hose Clamp set may not like it but Day 2 is how a lot of Musclecars spent most of their life. I would not cut one but anything else goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing how they all grew their original parts back huh?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be true, and is also why original stuff as well as the cars themselves are worth what they are today. if not for a large percentage of the cars and original components getting swapped out, cut, hacked, and modified, the value of that stuff wouldn't be what it is today... If every 69 Z still had its original 302 and was never modified with day 2 stuff, never had any dated or original parts thrown away, and no one cut them up, raced them, or ruined them, finding a nice original one would not be difficult, nor would they be valued as much. The rarer something is, or the more difficult it is to locate, the more valued it becomes... this goes for original parts and has recently moved over to some original "Day 2" stuff as well.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:16 AM

i would not risk an original matching #'s block, or 4 speed, set it aside and have some fun.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:41 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

My car's been Day2 since Day1 and I still beat on it. It's one of one produced. If the part can be unbolted and swapped back on, then there's no problem. Items such as headers, intake, shifter, mag wheels are fine. They wont hurt the value if you have the original parts stored away. Bolting on a large rice-rocket wing and neon lights would however, be a little beyond the limit.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2006, 01:53 AM

The investors and speculators want the cars that are restored to original and will pay top dollar for them. Others just like to restore cars to perfection and that is fine too. Our COPO Chevelle was Day 2 from the beginning and will stay that way. It got Hedman headers, Hurst shifter, rear sway bar, and 15 inch wheels. All for the improvement of the car. When new, the car wouldn't get out of its own way, wallowed around corners and shifted terribly. Some things had to change to make it a pleasant driver.
Our L78 Chevelle has the same equipment along with the original Stewart-Warner gauges that were installed by the original owner. We also have a set of Cragar SS mags that we swap back and forth with the SS wheels just for a visual change. Driving, not showing, is where we are at. That's just us.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:26 AM

Or do like I did. I have 3 cars that are numbers cars.I wanted something I felt comfortable "beating" on. I bought a pretty decent 70 Nova and put a 427 in it. Mucho fun car now!
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 AM

If it is original I would LEAVE IT ALONE as far as MAJOR modifications! Get something else and modify that! Original cars are worth more $$$$ My opinion is they are only original once!

Bobby Dodson