Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar Features

Old 07-03-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Re: July '06 Feature Car

Great documentary Ed and perfect July feature. I'm sure Larry would have been proud. It's situations like this that make us realize how valuable our lives and relationships really are. May he rest in peace.
70 Nova
70 ElCamino LS1
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 PM

The time just goes by soooo fast, You park the car for what you think will be a short time.
Let me get these “other things” in order then I will start (finish) this restoration and the
next thing you know 10 years have passed and the car; or cars are buried behind the
lawn mower, kids bikes, old furniture… well you get the picture. I bet Larry was Glowing
inside when his baby rolled out of that garage and out into the sun for the first time in
many, many years…. Thanks for the picture’s Ed….
09 G8/GXP #992
98 Pontiac GTP Daytona Pace Car #605
90 Olds Touring Sedan SUPRCHRGD L32
83 El Camino
Old 07-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Great picture documentary Ed and my condolences on Larry...would have loved to hear his stories first hand...
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 AM

Larry is surely smiling down about this feature. Thanks, Rob and Ed, for making it happen. A more deserving person I cant think of and a more deserving pair of Corvettes I can't imagine.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

I came across some old posts of Larry's that I think would fit in here as well... Here are Larry's words:

"Seem's like it took forever but I Finally got my Baldwin Motion Phase III Webpage started. I only have the page for the '69 done. I will have the White '70 later this week.
I sure makes me sad that so many of my pictures from back then were destroyed or lost. It seems that the ones that did surive were not that great. Wish I had never used that instant camera and had thought about having the memories to share with anyone.
I still have all the best memories in my mind and for somereason I can't seem to be able to get them to print out... <Frown>

My best pictures are from back when I lost interest in the Motion cars and parked them and started racing SCCA corvettes and Lola sportracers.
My life is like a time capsule. I never sold the old cars (Thank God) and just stored them and went on to newer and different projects.
I plan on semi-retiring this next year and getting back to them so that everybody that is interested in them can
see them instead of lingering under tarps in the back of my shop. Thank you all for this forum. I have been lingering
on the VAlkyrie Riders Motorcycle forum for the last 4 years and finding this one and getting to attend the St Louis
meet was all it took to re-kindle my love of Corvettes and Camaro's and all muscle cars. The attachtment is of my
"SuperCar Center" Used car lot back in the '70's and early '80's." Larry Clain, 10/7/03

"Ed (55chev) came by tonight and drooled over the cars and he wants me to do the '70 first. I think it is because he wants us to take it out to the sonic for a sat night car show which happens every sat here in Tulsa. I am with you as I feel the first car Joel made of the 10 should be shown. It is different from all the rest he built. Ed just wants to go for a "RIDE" so bad it hurts...<BG> So do I. I have the documentation for the White '70 so it is not as important to me right now. There is no question where it came from and or does it need a frame off as it only has 15,223 mi on it and I thing I will just repair the damage from the front fender that was wrecked before I got it and restore the motor back to LS-7 spec's and it will not need near as much as the '69. I need to find a new 67 - 69 white GTO grill emblem to finish my presentation to Joel to get the car certified. Then I will take plenty of pictures of it with witnesses before I tear it apart to repaint it and bring it back to new condition

Thanks for the interest..

Larry" 10/7/03

"I just want to get the '69 done first as it needs to get the paperwork finalized from Joel. I am going to spend the rest of the week trying to find the GTO emblem locally so that I can put to rest my last piece of the puzzle. What if Joel doesn'T have the paperwork on this car then he will need to see this to satisify his mind that it is the same car. 21 out of 21 things is just the way that I want to do things. Once it is finalized I will be working on both cars and you can count on being involved if that is what you would like to do? You have to remember that paint work has to set for weeks to keep from having gost your body work show up in the finish coat. That way I will jump from car to car in each step till I get it just right and the finish will last for many years. I plan on these cars outliving me and just hope that 50 years from now someone will still be interested in them and will read about my life and my cars. I want them as perfect as I can make them. They are almost surivor cars and just may need to be left pretty much the way that they are. I am working with some NCRS guys too and they will advise me once I get them where I can work around them without being in such tight quarters. As you saw that Dam Can-Am car takes up way too much room. hard to beleive it is so big and so small (short) at the same time. I am toying with the Idea of going to Chicago to the Vettefest? Have to wait and see if I can work it out time wise." Larry Clain, 10/8/03

Attached Images

Old 07-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

Here is another post of Larry's I feel is fitting for this feature. This is when Larry announced he was bringing his '70 Baldwin/Motion Phase III GT 454 to SCR7 back in 2004.

"I finally picked up a good used '97 Dodge Diesel Dually to pull the Motion vette with. So many on the forum have expressed a desire to see it unrestored, this will be your chance.

Please remember to be kind to it when you see how shabby it looks. It was a long time ago and I had a bad case of Racing fever and when I spun a bearing in it setting FTD at a auto-X at Hallett motor raceway, I just took it home and parked it in the back yard. I fully planed on going through the motor and getting it out to cruse the local drive-in with but never seemed to have the time.

Back then, I was working all the time on my 69 L-88 SCCA Vette, so both of my Motion cars were just sorta forgotten.
I even opened a body shop and it was too successful for me to ever get much done on the Black car. I did get as far as striping the black paint off the body. It still is setting there as far as I got on it today.

The 69 Motion was wrecked from behind and I just was too interested in winning my division and going to the runoffs at Alanta GA. in the SCCA car.

Between my used car business two teenage boys turning of age to learn to drive. I had a rageing ambition to be the next Mario Andretti, everything I did was for SCCA racing and it was just too much to try to work on the Motion's. Then I had the misfortune of getting passed like I was tied to a tree by a Can AM Lola Chev powered racecar. This was not just a pass but I was flat out in my vette on the back straight of Dallas's old airport when this blip went by on my left. I looked down to see if I had broke or something. Nope I was taching 7 grand in top gear with a 3:70 rear. He was just gone in a moment. This was a long runway and I got to see him take the corner at the end so fast it was not funny. From that moment on I just had to have one.

Well I bought a old F-5000 chev powered car just to see what it was like to go that fast. Well it was fast and fun but the motor blew up and I sold the roller and kept what was left of the motor. Next I traded a pair of used midyear vettes for a Can Am Lola like the one that blew me into the weeds.

That cost me a small fortune to put together and I never have gotten to drive it. One of these days I will finish it. About that time I decided to refinace my property and hire a professional mechanic to finish the car for me. I had dreams of makeing a "name" for myself in Can AM so I bought all new bodywork called a "Frissbee" and making the new car a ground affects class killer. I have the same car as a Lola that won at Mossport in 85. It was owned by Horst Kroll but he rented it to a new driver that went on to be a big name in Indy cars.

Unless you have ever gotten the racing fever you may not ever understand how you can put a nice car like ether one of my Motion cars out to pasture and just let them set and go to pot. I am so ashamed of the way they look. I hope that you all will be kind to me for my folly.

I am so glad that I never sold either one of them and you all have been so great to me on here. Going through the divorce back in 94 was fortunate as if she knew what they are worth today I would have been forced to sell them.

I has taken me many years to pay off the cost of that divorce and you can't know how I feel to find this forum.

So ragged as it is, you are all welcome to see the White W/gold stripe vette that I have horded all these years. Hope not too much of the paint flakes off on the trip up to SCR7. I am only using a open trailer to get it there. We will be out at the Drags on Fri. Then it will be in the building later that night.

Perhaps next year you will get to see both of my cars all dressed to kill and looking like new?" Larry Clain, 8/31/04
Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Amazing thread! RIP !
Peter
Old 07-25-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazing thread! RIP !
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

X2...simply amazing!

'69 Z/28 Yellow/Aug '07 CHP cover car
'70 Z/28 R/S Orange/Jan '08 CHP featured car
'70 Chevelle SS454 LS-5 Red/Jan '11 CHP cover car
Old 07-31-2006, 06:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

..Ed, That's a great tribute to your close friend Larry....
....thanks for sharing those photos with all your other friends....
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM